Author Topic: u.s.d fork axle lug removal  (Read 1012 times)

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
u.s.d fork axle lug removal
« on: December 22, 2012, 01:20:42 pm »
has anyone removed the lower axle/wheel lugs from u.s.d forks chrome legs them self if so any help would be great

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: u.s.d fork axle lug removal
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 02:46:45 pm »
I had some re-chromed at Rad here in Brisvegas. They unscrewed them for me but I didn't watch how he did it. I guess he held the legs in a soft jawed vice and used a big bar through the axle hole to unscrew them. Didn't take very long - few minutes only as I recall.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 05:50:12 pm »
I unscrewed one on my 89 YZ125,Only trouble was I was riding it at the time :o,In the middle of a 3 hour pony express I was thinking geez the front end feels a bit strange,must have a flatty,pulled up for a look & saw only the skinny little damper rod with the chrome slider missing,it was fully slid home in the upper,I pulled it back down & screwed it back in & continued as it was the last lap & I knew I was miles from nowhere,made it back to the finish & to my surprise at the presentation my name was called out for winning the 125 class ;D

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 06:37:02 pm »
some can be hard to get of they have small grub screw, some models the grub screw is peened over and has to be drilled to uncover screw ,screw can be od sizes to, put some rost off or some type of penetrative oil in the screw hole after taking grub screw out and in the other three slider cover holes then use compresed air to push the oil  into the threads  the alloy bottoms can gaul on to the chrome sliders if you dont lube them  and use some heat .we have the tool to put on the chrome sliders  goes  through the two holes  and the alloy lowers in the vice