Author Topic: Ebay postage question  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Ebay postage question
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:44 am »
Gents - asked a US seller for a price on a small part for my bike.

He has come back with:

"Theres two ways First class no tracking no insurance no ebay buyers assurance for 14.00 or Priority some tracking insurance if you buy it and Ebay backs it with buyers assurance for 34.00 . Thanks and good luck"

Since when does EBay buyer protection become associated with which postage method I choose?  Or am I missing something here?

cheers
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay postage question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:24:49 pm »
I think it is that if you do not buy tracked postage/shipping that the ebay protection is not available.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:51:03 pm »
but that's what I am asking - when did ebay coverage come into postage options?  I haven't seen it before?

cheers
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 05:12:46 pm »
Sounds like a minefield for the seller???
I would have thought if it's sent "no tracking" then he's liable for losses if it doesn't get to you, if not through ePay then through Pay Pal

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:17 pm »
From what I make of  it Ebay is trying to corner the market on Postage Costs ...ie   the seller uses the auto calculator which has built into it insurance and tracking numbers. These are printed out on the Sellers Computer in bar code form  -  NB there are no actual postage cost on the label  ....all made too easy by ebay for the convience of the seller at the buyers expense
I have rang Ebay and advised them what they are doing is not right by not showing the actual postage cost on their label and making us have either a tracking number or Insurance to protect the seller  

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 06:25:44 pm »
I think ebay only cover tracked items so that there is evidence as to whether or not the item actually arrived.
Maybe there has been to many people trying to claim compensation for items they have actually received.

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:28:03 pm »
Maybe there has been to many people trying to claim compensation for items they have actually received.
I found that out the hard way some time ago. >:( Registered counts for zilch, it must have tracking.
Yet it always amazes me how many sellers still send without tracking.