Author Topic: Need a set of 0.25mm 125 2 smoke zook rings for CD-5  (Read 3568 times)

Doc

Need a set of 0.25mm 125 2 smoke zook rings for CD-5
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:57:58 pm »
well, it seems all the best laid plans go to waste when it comes to motorcycling  ::) rings I had on order to be delivered by early next week seem to have grown legs and walked as the seller now informs me the rings I purchased have gone awol!  Anyway, would anyone have a set of 0.25mm rings to suit a TS/TC/TM/RV/DS125. They are for my 125S but it runs thicker rings (RM125M) and not the original thin race or kit type that need to be replaced every 3 or so hours. Ironically I have some of those on the shelf ::) zee part number of said rings I'm hunting could be 12140-28011-025 or 12140-28010-025 or 12140-28760 Have tried locally but no go and too late for OS. I have 1 new ring so even a partial set would do  :) I will buy parts or if I have a set you need maybe a swap but whatever I'm going to need them before next Wednesday/Thursday at latest which is cutting things a little fine. I know I know, I should have had all this sorted out prior but I honestly thought the bore was 1mm over for which I have plenty of rings hence there was no urgency to swap them..oops  :P the bore is 56.25mm so CR125 or any brand rings would work so long as they fit the ring groove. 1.25mm thick x 2.00 wide are the std ring dimensions give or take a poofteenth cause I don't have a set of totally accurate verniers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:09:15 pm by Doc »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Need a set of 0.25mm 125 2 smoke zook rings for CD-5
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:19:03 pm »
Errr didn't you say you have 1 ring???? Just run that will be fine, better actually
Jesus only loves two strokes

Doc

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 06:32:22 pm »
yeah I do have 1 new and the 2 slightly worn rings Loz. It's just the bore is a little worn and I figured 2 would be better than 1..if all fails I can instal the old rings but new would be better  ;)

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 07:08:56 pm »
You have mail.   file the buggers to siut  ;D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:45:27 pm »
Rings won't make much difference on a worn bore.If the chamfer is gone so is the ring.

Doc

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 09:21:35 pm »
The chamfer is still there Loz but the rings are worn hence I assume the bore to be worn also. I was worried with 1 ring fitted this may allow a little more piston rock which may in turn cause the top edge of the piston to hang up on the exhaust port.

Stew, I have rings for 0.50 but I've never been one to file ring gaps on jap 2 strokes. I've a feeling if I tried to gap them to a worn bore I maybe asking for trouble as the bore usually doesn't wear the same in all areas.. :-\ me thinks to end the situation I'll run 1 new and 1 old for CD-5 than have it bored before it's next outing which will probably be Connondale later in the year..who knows..I may stumble on a set of rings at CD-5 ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:29:10 pm by Doc »

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 09:54:20 pm »
chris we have a couple of boxes of nos rings i know there is a few 125s in there have written down numbers will check tommorow ring me  at work on 54467722  rusty.......
follow me to first turn

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:57:43 pm »
Bore wear causes excess rock over TDC not the ring, 1 or 2 new rings won't ever stop any rock.The piston should be straight in the bore by the time it reaches the Ex port.Running 1 ring will have no effect on the port, the ONLY thing that causes ring snagging is the port window itself.Too much end gap is better than not enough.

Doc

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 06:39:05 am »
No offence Big Loz but I'd still like new rings regardless if possible. I get great reliability, service out of all my motors so I must be doing something right. I can't accurately measure the bore to determine how much wear I have but it appears within tolerance. With the old rings I can see visible wear and the ring gap verified them to be close to the end of their servicable life. The new ring when fitted is within tolerance so I simply wish to give the bore a bit of an extra extra light hone and fit a new set of rings to get a few more rides before she's bored. It's a piece of mind thing. I need to replace the gudgeon, bearing pin and clips for the same reason..it's a kind of a mental assurance. I don't know the history of this motor and have only run it once, it goes bloody hard so I'm erring on the side of caution. ;)

Thanks Rusty, I'll give you a call later this arv so as to give you some time to look  ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:29:57 am »
If you can't afford a bore gauge a cheap set of telescopic gauges is good enough to size a bore.Set them to the nominal bore and rock them verticaly and horizontaly.You can feel the amount of clearence it has after a while.Ring gap would be about 0.2mm(for a 56mm bore).Wear is greatest opposite the exhaust port on the inlet side where rock is greatest.

Doc

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:19:51 pm »
I'll see if I can find me one of those telescopic gauges Loz. I've never measured bores except to verify the oversize. I change rings and such by what I hear and feel in the motor when riding. This particular motor sounds a little more rattly than I like and this is where the re-ring idea stems from. Another issue at the time was extremely low float height causing the bike to lean out and start pinking after 2 laps of Nudgee, this no doubt would have also added to the engine noise and snappy engine response due to the heat generated from the lean mixture. The floats are now set correctly and I've increased the main quite substancially from a 140 to 195. First real ride will be CD-5 and no doubt I'll still be fiddling with jetting but when the carb is from an old snowmobile it's all a bit of a mystery. The 195 main is still quite a bit smaller then the original RMS main  but I reckon she'll be close to good.

Chasing this ring has turned quite pleasant. Whilst looking on egay I stumbled across this nice little NOS item for $50us 'Buy It Now' :o item 170209723087 the description explains why it hadn't been snapped up  ;)

I proceeded to checkout in a nano second naturally and now it's all mine Mine MINE!! ;D ;D ;D
It's a T&M RM125M/S, it's NOS, undetonated and it'll look very nice sitting on top the S motor...my first ever 'real' piece of bling ;D

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:38:35 pm by Doc »

TM BILL

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 04:55:37 pm »
Awsome score Doc ;) Sorry mate checked and no rings that size  :(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:17:50 pm by TM BILL »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 06:41:15 pm »
Got NOS .50 and 1mm Doc  no bloody .25  >:(,if you need they will be express posted  ;) ;)Tim
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:43:09 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 09:28:32 pm »
Thanks Tim but she's all back together now and it looks  :-*
The 1 new ring I had does not fit the groove..*insert very perplexed look here* it was too thick by a smidgen..maybe the thicker RM125M rings are different to TS/TM after all :-\ the piston has had a little nip up off to the left of the exhaust port..I gave it a touch up with some sand paper and hope it was only due to the nasty lean out last ride, if she holds together for cd-5 it'll be getting a bore job directly after so if you wish to part with the rings I'll probably be able to use them regardless ;) still waiting for the front spoke kit but i have the little TM as a backup  8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:30:44 pm by Doc »