Author Topic: 1989 CR250 kickstarter jammed???  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
1989 CR250 kickstarter jammed???
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
G'day guys,hope someone can help out with this problem.The bike is an 1989 CR250.
Way back in March,after I had a heavy get off, I went to re-start the bike,and the kickstarter wouldn't budge. I pushed the bike back to an open area,put it in gear,and rocked it back n forth,the kickstarter was jammed solid.After some time,and frustration,rocking it, hitting it,I threw the leg back over,and gave it a kick,and it the kickstarter had miraculously freed itself. To my relief,on the third kick,it started. Since then it has been ridden regularly,fouling a plug occassionally,regularly serviced,etc. Until Friday arvo that is.
I had just changed the rubber gasket on the clutch cover,changed the gearbox oil,kicked it over 3-4 times,it ran for 5 seconds,then died like it was flooded,no clunking noises,or anything nasty sounding. Went to kick it over again,and kickstarter is jammed solid. Tried putting it gear and rocking it,didnt hit it this time,though.
I have; Removed the spark plug,and put some wire in,to feel if piston is moving up and down,it is.
           Removed both ignition,and clutch covers.
           Removed the clutch. Tried to turn motor over by hand by turning the clutch basket. The piston doesnt go through a full rotation,it stops at tdc,or there abouts. Then turn the clutch basket the other way,and it stops maybe halfway down the bore.
This bike previously had chewed a clutch basket,and bits of it were throughout the gearbox. The bike shop I took it to,flushed out all the bits n pieces,and I believe, were quite thorough in doing so. Could there be some broken pieces still in there?Or is this a Honda thing? Any ideas,help, much appreciated.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Simo63

Re: 1989 CR250 kickstarter jammed???
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:58:36 pm »
Just sounds like it's either nipped up, snagging a ring or may have even done a big end or main bearing.  Either way I think pulling the top end off would be the best bet to get a better diagnosis.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
Re: 1989 CR250 kickstarter jammed???
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:25:22 pm »
Thanks for that Simo,I was hoping to avoid taking the head off.
Gunna have a coupla shots,and have a go at removing the head tonight,keep you posted of results.
Also if there are any other ideas floating out there by you gurus,dont be shy,post up what you think. Thanks

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.