Author Topic: anyone use a container for storage  (Read 1477 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
anyone use a container for storage
« on: November 08, 2012, 09:09:54 pm »
need to store my bike stuff for about 3 months or more
have heard stuff inside containers rust anyone use one and any problems with them
jim

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: anyone use a container for storage
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:21:12 pm »
Jim,
I have had a 40 ft container for a couple of years now. Everything has stayed really dry with no signs of any surface rust. I would highly recommend a good quality one for your storage.

Stan.

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:23:16 pm »
If it's only for 3 months Jim it won't be a problem.
They do sweat if there's no ventilation.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:07:04 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »
If you really want to keep the moisture out hang half a dozen large desiccant packs from the walls of the container..
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:50:20 pm »
give anything you want to stop rusting a good squirt of wd40 as that stuff was developed for the us navy to stop the guns on the ships from rusting,its good for arching joints too and wont hurt your skin as its got veggie oil in it ;)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:02:06 am »
And fit a "Whirly gig" ventilator to the roof ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 10:01:11 am »
A few years ago the late Stan Rose sold his business and decided to go on the big round Australia retirement trip. He and his wife sold their home, bought a Winnebago and purchased a shipping container to store his race and collector bikes for the year or two the trip would take. The idea was good but he made a couple of big blues......Worried about theft, had Stan welded the doors shut and unfortunately didn't consider fitting a ventilation "whirly gig".

Cut to two years later and Stan and his wife are back from their adventure. Out comes the grinder and the door of the container opened to reveal a veritible horror show. Thick green moss had grown over all of the bikes and some bikes even had mushroom like 'plants' growing from them. Once removed the damage to the bikes was even more obvious, it was if they'd been on the bottom of Sydney Harbour for the two years, they were almost all totally rooted with rust, aluminium corrosion and the previously mentioned carpet of mossy stuff all over them. Even moving the bikes was difficult as many of the wheel bearings and chains had rusted solid. For all intended purposes the bikes were pretty much beyond help bar major ground up restorations. Amongst the written off bikes were.....a classic Douglas, a Rickman 900 Honda CR, a recently restored Rickman Montesa, his Honda CB72 and CB77 road racers, a Z900 Kawasaki and more.

If Stan had given some thought to ventilation these classic bikes would have survived almost unaffected.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 10:23:20 am »
out hang half a dozen large desiccant packs from the walls of the container..

http://www.absorbopak.com/

Interesting read  :)
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:28:47 am »
That is a sad story mark, thats when you need mates to remind people like that, Years ago I had the pleasure to have a look at Johns bowls shed and it was an eye opener, but sitting out side in the weather was a bultaco Pursang , and I said to John you need to grease up the chrome on those forks or spray wd40 on the forks and get that bike insided, when I bumped into john down the track I said to him, is that bully inside or shed out of the weather, the answer was yes. Thank god, its a real shame to see bikes that are in good restorable condition out side rusting away.

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 11:03:53 am »
Jim

Have the container off the ground, must be a steel floor, at least one but better with two lower vents (vermin proofed) and one wirrly gig at the top. Make sure the air can get around soft storage (seats vinyl and foams etc) and make sure the water does not pool on the roof so put some slight angle to allow to drain.

I have two 40' for storage of construction materials (over 10years) and have no problems, even with cement bags.

Good luck
Peter B
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....