Author Topic: Longer shocks  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
Longer shocks
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:17:47 am »
Could any of of you long time dt tragics of which i am now one give me the benifit of your wisdom. Will fitting 30mm longer shocks (standard shocks are 320mm eye to eye, ones i have are 350mm eye to eye) to my rt3 360 with a 2" longer swingarm have a detrimental effect on its handling or a positive effect. Cheers Andrew
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Longer shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:28:27 am »
If the shock mounting points are in the original position, i.e. if you lengthened the swingarm behind the shock mounts, the extra 30mm of shock length will raise the back, thereby bringing in the fork rake a tad, helping the bike to turn a little better.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:51:45 am »
I thought that might be the case with the turning but wasnt sure if that was a good thing or not, thought it might make it a bit too twitchy, the shock mounts are in the original position plates after the mounts are in the process of being made longer. Cheers Andrew
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:16:56 pm »
30mm at the shock mounts will probably mean 35/40mmat the rear axle wwhich would then become about 50mm if you extend the swingarm. Thats too much unless you raise the front about the same amount. You could also angle your extended axle plate up to lower the rear a bit .

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:15:32 pm »
Got to try the longer shocks and 2" longer swingarm today what a transformation the bike hangs the back end out in a predictable drift and turns really well was worth all the effort couldnt find any detremental effects.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:20:03 pm by mavman4200p »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:26:27 pm »
how much travel is there now at the axle..
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:10:06 pm »
Freaky it has regulation 4 inches of course. Havent measured it properly yet will do it tomorrow the longer shocks dont have any more travel than the originals just a longer body not sure what travel it had originally does anyone know would be good to compare. Had to put a longer spacer in the forks the extra load from the rake change made the static sag to much made them drop from about 2inch sag to 3 inch sag, made new spacer 1.5 inches longer now have a sag of 1.5 inches with rider on board which I think is a good number.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:18:36 pm by mavman4200p »