Author Topic: Weak front brake  (Read 2591 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Weak front brake
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:31:07 am »
Loaned my 400 to an elsinore rider last weekend for a session at some training & he commented on how bad my front brake is, I had wondered whether it was just how it was but he's ridden 1 of the 250s here which is much better

Sanded the drum & linings to remove any glaze during the week but got no improvement, now I have a horn connected to the brake lever & even less power than before while pushing it around

The shoes aren't that old & are EBC items from CRHighperformance, not oil or grease on the linings, good cable connected to a magura lever. I held the brake on while tightening up the axle so they should be centred

Any suggestions to get them working properly before the first Kiwi VMX round this weekend?

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Weak front brake
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:46:28 am »
The shoes mustn't be touching all the way. I have some brakes better than others myself (talking Cz) but have never sorted them. They have good brakes so if they feel like shit, something is wrong. First thing I would do is make sure you have a good quality cable. One that doesn't stretch can make a huge difference.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:45 am »
Yeah could be cable stretch.I put my axle spacers in the hub on opposite sides once and that reduced the brake contact area.?greased the cam?moved the arm back around the spline a couple of teeth?

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:58:52 pm »
Cable is a Terrycable one from CR, think they're made by Ty Davis' father from memory. Pretty sure it's not stretching as the lever seems to go fairly solid

The comment on the brake are being incorrectly positioned on the spline, where should it be in relation to the cable when applied, roughly 90deg or lower down than that which is where it is at the moment

The surface of the shoes looked pretty constant as though they were making full contact, could take the wheel & brake plate etc to work & space the shoes out just enough to take a light skim off them at the same diameter as the hub. Never done that before but could if needed

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:02:22 pm »
You want a 90deg angle Tony.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:08:55 pm »
Thanks John, gotta have 1 bike working properly for Whakatane, the shitbox yamaha has decided to rena the garage & I'm not sure that the new seal will turn up in time

Will check where the lever is relative to the cable tomorrow & draw all over the linings to confirm how much contact they're making

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 07:25:03 pm »
Hi,
You might have a set of "Hi Performance Racing" shoes, ie; a set that has a high temp working range, great when you are road racing, but no good when the shoes and drums dont get hot enough, when you ride VMX. 
If you are getting new shoes, or getting brakes shoes "rebonded" get the softest linings  you can, yes they wear out quicker but they work better when cold and when they are wet,
cheers

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 04:11:27 am »
Pretty sure the shoes are the same as Les would supply