Author Topic: early yam bits  (Read 1116 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: early yam bits
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:04:11 pm »
The only problem with this NOS stuff is that much of it is the type of stuff you'll probably never need. DT1 gearboxes are pretty bullet proof. The prices aren't too bad though.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: early yam bits
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:24:41 pm »
Gotta reply to the "bullet proof" DT1 gearbox's Firko. Had a bad run right outa the crate down here in nz. [call us heavy handed brutes] Broke a gear completely in my "69 DT1 & poked a hole underneath by memory. Then [30 years later] was using the same box in my 360 as i liked the ratio spacing all the way to 5th with the early coarse tooth gears compared to the DT1F on [i think] which had fine teeth but a bigger jump to 5th [maybe second to 3rd as well] but anyway it broke 3rd gear into 3 bits [spindly looking gear compared to the later models]. Mind you it 'was' 30 years later when it broke again when all said & done. Funny story though, years back i was sorting the 'best of the rest' gearbox for one of my dungas & looking over the drums to find one that 'hadn't' taken the high point of 3rd selector groove & went to use the drum from the first model with selector that encompasses the drum but not using that selector just the 3 selectors on the shafts. Did a dummy run to just watch engagement so i could space up if needed & discovered it went 1-2-3-'5'-4 which would have made life interesting. Must still love my Yams though, still have a shed full. Cheers. ps, always heaps of new gears on ebay & i've bought heaps, did get caught out once though with a second hand DT1F box [bad photo] gears were blue & dogs rounded off plus selectors--on 3rd & 5th i think. Gotta take a gamble & got some mint used parts over the years. Even got a GYT Kit Head that was advertised as a DT1 head but was obvious 'what it really was'.  Cheers. ps just thinking back, you could reverse two pairs of gears on the first models from main to lay shaft & visa versa as were the same gear. Then running the other way we sort of got a second life out of the dogs with a good undamaged edge to use. Sorry, i feel like i'm preaching to the converted as i'm sure you know all this. Cheers twice.