Author Topic: JOHN FINGLAS SPEEDWAY STOCK BIKE  (Read 3909 times)

Johnny Finglas

JOHN FINGLAS SPEEDWAY STOCK BIKE
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:02:15 pm »
We had noticed a couple of the forum members were discussing a bike built by John Finglas.
John built the bike 1959 and rebuilt the bike in 2001.
The bike was a rigid matchless frame circa 1949, heavily modified to give a suitable front fork angle and wheel base.
The engine started life as a G8O, it has home built steel flywheels and big end pin an 10 to 1 high compression piston. Porter pistons of Maryborough made the piston.
It has a screwed exhaust pipe nut, an inch and a quarter grand prix amal carburettor with a remote float bowl. The plastic tube wound vertically attached to the bottom of the carby acts as a reservoir when the bike is leant over. The spark plug has been relocated centrally in the combustion chamber. The 10mm spark plug seats on the end of the plug and not in the normal seating position, so it looks like the plug is not screwed in properly. There is only a 3/16 dia hole extending into the combustion chamber because there is not enough room between the valve seats. The fins have been taken off of the head and cylinder to make it run hot enough to use methanol (Shell A).

The engine has been repositioned so as to be in a similar position to most other dirt track bikes of the time.
The petrol tank is two matchless G80S tool boxes welded together. The quick action throttle is home made. The kill switch is a result of the modern work place health and safety. The best bit on the bike is the petrol cap.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:18:39 pm by Fing »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN FINGLAS SPEEDWAY STOCK BIKE
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:12:56 pm »
absolutely Beautiful Bike.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:38:31 pm »
Great job building and restoring a piece of Australian speedway history,Well done  8)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:09:17 pm »
Really nice Matchy Fing. Did it have much success in its day?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:20:11 pm »
How cool is that, I remember hearing stories of the bike but that's the first I've seen of it.
Back in the day there were heaps of home built "Prototypes" like this but sadly most have disappeared.
Congratulations on preserving part of motorcycling history, awesome.

Johnny Finglas

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:39:06 pm »
Really nice Matchy Fing. Did it have much success in its day?
It was quite successful at the country tracks, Maryborough, Gympie, Toowoomba, Redcliffe, and the Brisbane Exhibition. In handicap racing it was usually on one hundred yards with the back marker on one hundred and twenty. It was an extremely easy bike to ride (or so John Finglas says) I haven't ridden it myself.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:54 pm »
Love it! ;D

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:15 pm »
 Great! What do you reckon Foss?
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:07:12 pm »
That is a freaking awesome bit of kit !!, a beautiful resto as well, Love the big Amal !!
Foss

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »
Y'know, I may have even seen this bike race at the Ekka in 1967, I was up in Brissie, sort of had to get out of town for a while, and caught up with a girlfriend of mine and we went out for Satdy night, where else to but the Skids ??

On the program was listed Stock Bikes, never having been to the Ekka before, I had stupid visions of a sort of crash and bang thing like Stock Cars !!!!.

When their spot on the program came up, about 20 or so bikes came out , all sorts of Pommy iron and did they put on a show !! I was absolutely stoked , I can't remember much else but it was no place for the faint of heart, I can tell you, really top entertainment.

I do remember seeing Ron Johnson and swinger on their Harley skids outfit, what a showman !

Foss
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:17:40 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »
Gorgeous :)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.