Author Topic: Rm 125 crank problems  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Nipper

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Rm 125 crank problems
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:24:51 am »
I am after some advice with a small problem I am having reassembling a RM 125B motor.
With the crankcases together the crankshaft turns freely, but as soon as I start to tension up the engine case screws the crankshaft becomes difficult to turn. It will still rotate but there is a noticable difference ,it doesnt turn anywhere as free as it should.
What do you think I might be doing wrong? Cheers..

TM BILL

Re: Rm 125 crank problems
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:39:58 am »
When its assembled give the crank a sharp knock on both ends of the crank with a copper mallet , to centre things up .
If that dont work check the assembled crank width against factory specs .

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:40:14 am »
The crank is binding up in the main bearing in the side of the cases which the crank went into first,-assuming you have gaskets in place etc. Again assuming you have warmed up the mains/cooled the crank when you assembled the crank into the cases, put the nut on the end of the crank which went into the cases first, and lightly tap the end of the crank with a copper hammer. This will move the crank away from the shoulder of the main bearing a little, and the crank should spin freely. DO NOT hit the end of the crank hard, with a steel hammer, or without the nut being on the end to protect the threads on the end of the crank. Hope this helps.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline Nipper

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:05 am »
Thanks guys ,I am heading to the shed now. appreciate the advice.

Offline Nipper

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:22:56 am »
Worked a treat, thanks again.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:03:56 pm »
 Having done that, check side clearance on the big end.
 With a parallel crankpin you need spacers placed between the flywheels to prevent the the flywheels moving along the pin during assembly and reducing the clearance.
Cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!