Author Topic: Graphics help  (Read 850 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Graphics help
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:19:49 am »
I've got a issue with the new rear guard for my modern trials bike, guard & graphics have been sitting in shed for a couple of years waiting to be fitted together?.
Fitted up well with no real issues except for the front corner not sticking. Have had it stuck down after using a hair drier to heat it but it lifted again overnight
What is the best way to get it to stay stuck if the glue on the back isn't working?

Any tips on fitting tank graphics to my 465H? Have never done a tank & the method I used on the trials bike guard/seat unit probably won't work

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics help
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:14:05 am »
Probably have to put some super glue on the corner that is lifting.

To put the tank ones on if you use some soapy water you can slide them around till you are happy and just smooth out any bubbles with a card or alike.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:05 pm »
If the graphics have been sitting for a few years I'd say the glue has gone off. Maybe a bit of clear silicone?
As for the tank, I would suggest emptying out completely and washing out with warm soapy water and leave for a day or two out in the sun with cap off.
Once you have fitted graphics, leave them to sit for about 14 days before refuelling tank.
I have a fool proof way of fitting graphics without using soapy water ( or anything else for that matter) which I'll try and explian.
1. make sure surface is clean...you know the drill.
2. get a nice sharp stanley knife.
3. flip graphic over so you have the back (sticky side ) up.
4. with the knife make 2 cuts the entire length of the graphic into the backing paper about 20mm apart (horizontally is best), but make sure you only cut through the paper and not the graphic.
5.You should then be able to pull the strip of backing paper off, exposing about a 20mm line of the glue surface. The rest of the backing paper should still be in place.
6. now put the graphic into place and line it up, this is easy because most of the backing paper is still in place, once you have it where you like it, then press down on the area that you removed the backing paper, this holds the graphic perfectly in place, while you remove the rest of the backing paper and stick the whole graphic down.
Make sense ::)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:41:40 pm »
Thats basically the method I used on the rear guard, only way I could see working as it's almost half the bike
Have a brand new tank coming for that bike which I need to fit the special graphics to when it gets here, blame alcohol laced fuel for a tank that no longer fits inside the frame. Hopefully it won't be that hard to do