Author Topic: Identify these  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Identify these
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 09:53:10 pm »
Fatboy, does the red swingarm have holes drilled in it underneath like the silver one?...it was explained to me by my welder that the holes are to let the gas out when they weld to get better penetration and strenght of the weld....they are more than likely recent copies (Novation?) as they didnt do that in the "olden" days....clever bugger arent I...LOL.,,,I'll give you 25 sqids for them. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 03:25:18 am »
The swingarms do look like DG copies, there's been a few different people making replica arms over the years.

TM BILL

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 05:41:45 am »
Thanks chaps  :) next question opinions sought whats the better look for one of these on a red rocket  ???

Red same as frame etc

Polished aluminium finish

Gold anodized

Be gentle  ;D

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 06:28:38 am »
I prefer the std unpolished alloy finish, like the factory bikes were.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 09:55:46 am »
Fatboy, does the red swingarm have holes drilled in it underneath like the silver one?...it was explained to me by my welder that the holes are to let the gas out when they weld to get better penetration and strenght of the weld....they are more than likely recent copies (Novation?) as they didnt do that in the "olden" days

Once a tube is enclosed the heat from further welding increases the pressure inside the tube, that pressure wants to escape and will do so through the weakest point which is the weld pool.
That’s why we put holes in tubes but you only need to have one hole to fix this.

2 holes is for plating and anodizing so the solutions can get in and out as one hole would create a vacuum and stop the solutions running out freely.

Physics hasn’t changed over the decades, they still needed to do this in Ye olden days but they may have been more discreet about it.
If you leave a tube open until all parts are welded to it then you can close it off and not worry to much about the hole but then sometimes pressure build up from heat treating can upset things.

A LOP arm from back in the day…

clever bugger arent I

Christ you can talk some shit ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 10:10:23 am »
The long baffle cone looks typical of the Mugen pipe specs but it does look like it sits low at the front and hangs below the lower frame rails??

This pipe is fitted to a 79 CR 250 fitted with a 360 mugen kit

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 11:31:58 am »
Geoff that pipe doesn't look like a genuine mugen one, I had a 360 mugen that fdr now owns and the pipe was quite different in the header like you stated. It was actually fairly similar to the 250 pipe.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 01:35:13 pm »
I vote same as JO raw alloy finish on the swingarm  8)