Author Topic: Pre 78 Rule changes  (Read 45506 times)

albrid-3

Re: Pre 78 Rule changes
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2012, 10:45:34 pm »
No, I am not saying that, the Australian Titles vintage meeting started off as a easter weekend, which gave the scrutineers time to check the bikes, and that was done on a friday and saturday.
It may be a good idea to follow the same method as the historic road racing, by using a log book, a machine examination book, once the bike has been check once, and its completely
eligible and unchanged and documented, it shouldn`t need to be check until its due again, when the due date has been stamped. and if it has been change for what ever reasons, then it will be band
for a period of ????.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2012, 06:32:48 am »
i thought the debate was regarding 1" of extra travel on some bikes and the definitions required for pre78.

at the moment we have scrutineers looking at standard bikes,as manufactured and year correct and saying not legal. wouldnt it be better for scrutineers to be looking at modified bikes first, if its pre 78, its pre 78. if you have mods then it's up to you to prove their period correct, I souldnt have to prove Ive modified my bike from standard to fit a class as the rule stands.

Cheers Worms

come on 20
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:07:43 am by worms »

mainline

« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2012, 07:22:29 am »
i thought the debate was regarding 1" of extra travel on some bikes and the definitions required for pre78.

at the moment we have scrutineers looking at standard bikes,as manufactured and year correct and saying not legal. wouldnt it be better for scrutineers to be looking at modified bikes first, if its pre 78, its pre 78. if you have mods then it's up to you to prove their period correct, I souldnt have to prove Ive modified my bike from standard to fit a class as the rule stands.

Cheers Worms

come on 20

Actually, I wasn't debating anything. I was merely making the point that he of the ever changing forum name talks a lot of crap.

I don't really care one way or the other about the rules as they stand, but as many have pointed out, if you don't like them then put in a submission to have them changed. Talking about it on here does nothing.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 29, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »
Was the bike Belly rode really illegal though? Upside down WP forks were available in '84...

I'm not so sure that even WP had upside down forks in 1984. I don't recall the KTM's of the era having USD's and WP is KTM's fork as we all know.

The Honda Factory bikes didn't get upside down forks until 1987 so therefore Bells ride was illegal. And yes, the irony of it all is that Glen could win on a postie bike. Rules are rules. One in, all in. Regardless of whom you are or what you achieved in the past. I'm not labeling Glen as knowing his ride was illegal either.

Maybe the scrutineers will have an easier time of determining eligibility of a bike now that the Pre78 split has been proven a success. When all is said and done, it's a big ask of a scrutineer to be expected to know all the workings of all generations of bikes from the 60's to the 90's. Perhaps MA should look at providing a scrutineer for each era of bike at National level events to take some of the pressure off of the scrutineers????

gee mate you keep shooting from the hip. A few facts wouldnt go astray. This is how people are called cheats and it sticks, like it seems to have from last time Glens name was bought up. White power forks, legal. Wave disc, debatable but legal.

Ok, it seems I was wrong about USD forks not being available in 1984.... Know I now! I did say I wasn't sure......and I sure as hell didn't call anyone a cheat. I just questioned the eligibility of a bike
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 29, 2012, 06:37:50 pm »

Cheers Worms

come on 20

Now that we are kinda back on track with the whole extra inch of travel thing, throughout this whole discussion there have been several comments about bikes always being modified. Factories and privateers have always tried to improve their bikes.

I'm in the process of building a C&J Framed XL350 that was apparently manufactured in 1976. All I had was the frame. I purchased a 1976 XL350 so I could build a pre78 4stroke racer. Now after reading all this I wonder if I'm going to be able to ride it. It had no swingarm so I'm using a stock '76 XL 350 arm for now. It had no forks either so I found set of PE forks that are 38mm with 8 1/4 inch travel. I'd much rather have the original 37mm Showa fork but where do I find them and what would they cost? I'm going to use a set of Marzochii MX580 piggy back shocks and the wheel travel is spot on at 8 1/4" also. Hopefully I can graft the Honda front hub onto the KYB fork otherwise it will be Suzuki. Rear wheel will be XL Honda.

Is this bike going to be legal to race or is it going to end up like a lot of exotic / specials and end up being a lounge queen?

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 29, 2012, 06:40:43 pm »
What part of the bike do you think won't fit the criteria? I would think a read of the rules and a check list will see you through.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 29, 2012, 07:19:10 pm »
What part of the bike do you think won't fit the criteria? I would think a read of the rules and a check list will see you through.

I'm no expert when it comes to C&J stuff Brad, I just love 4 stroke Hondas! I'm jus a bit concerned that because there are so few around someone will complain! I know the wheel travel, fork dimensions etc are all within the rules but it's definitely no stock XL350 anymore. I'm making it to look like the 1976  Factory XL305 Honda that Marty Tripes campaigned for a bit. At the end of the day I doubt I'll be winning much but I could very well be at the pointy end and I'd hate to be labeled a cheat just because I've built another bike to make the start lines.

I've still got My Beeza B50 for pre75 but my back is screaming for more suspension!

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 29, 2012, 07:27:59 pm »
If you put era correct parts on it and suspension is within the limits then it's job done....

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2012, 07:39:56 pm »
That's exactly what I thought Brad. Everything is pre78 so there should be no problems. As a matter of fact I'm well within travel limits and I'm fairly certain the forks are from a 77 PE250. They have a taper on the legs that sits between the triple clamps which is totally different to the later model PE's. Hopefully I can find an original C&J box section swing arm. I may be onto one hopefully.....

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 29, 2012, 07:47:46 pm »
Was the bike Belly rode really illegal though? Upside down WP forks were available in '84...

I'm not so sure that even WP had upside down forks in 1984. I don't recall the KTM's of the era having USD's and WP is KTM's fork as we all know.

The Honda Factory bikes didn't get upside down forks until 1987 so therefore Bells ride was illegal. And yes, the irony of it all is that Glen could win on a postie bike. Rules are rules. One in, all in. Regardless of whom you are or what you achieved in the past. I'm not labeling Glen as knowing his ride was illegal either.

wrong on all counts - usd WP's were on 84 on some 84 KTM's not that it matters as Bell's Honda CR500 ran Simons forks of which disc brake versions were sold in 84 -to suit the Honda's. Factory Honda's had USD'd before 87........

Curly3

« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2012, 07:58:26 pm »
At the end of the day, if you follow the guide lines as laid out, the chances of you having a problem are minute.
The problems that we all discuss pretty much come from individuals trying to stretch the boundary's.
Mind you, that is part of the racing culture.