Author Topic: Bike not running right bit unsure what the problem is?  (Read 2277 times)

mr77rm

Bike not running right bit unsure what the problem is?
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »
Hi all

My 77 rm 125 has been a bloody ripper for me up until during the week went to take it for a ride. It started fine went for a little ride started to die loss of fuel I think . So I pulled carb off clean but still cleaned out with carb cleaner put it all back together no luck was worse. Pulled plug out changed it same problem I'm stumped I honestly dont know what is the problem at all it's annoying as I love riding the old girl

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bike not running right bit unsure what the problem is?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »
mate when a stator starts to go the bike will generally run ok when cold then as it warms up it will play up - die and run and break down till one day it will stop all together.  Leaving them wet after a good wash is the best way to kill a stator I have found.

Pete
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

mr77rm

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »
Funny you should say that I checked the spark it still is very strong the plug is wet and the carby is empty well not full but has some in it

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:13:38 pm »
Just because the bike has spark dosent mean the stator is ok, Why do VMX ers wish to believe that a 30 year ignition should still be working like new when even new they were dodgy 30 years ago? They think nothing of replacing bearing piston's ETC but electrical parts are something that should last forever ?  ???
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 10:16:58 pm »
Broken reed petal?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:24:42 am »
simple check with a ohms meter will tell you if the stators are OK

pulsar coil         =  black - black/ red   should have a reading of    98 reading
primary coil       =  black/ red  - black/white                                98     

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:34:49 am »
Check your fuel flow from the tank , drain the tank unscew the tap from the tank and clean out the tap filter.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 08:56:13 am »
  As bill said the first thing you check on them is the fuel flow and even if the petcock has an inbuilt filter put another  inline filter for insurance, if theres any shit in the  system youll be forever chasin' ya tail ! -then move on to the coils etc  :)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 09:59:23 am »
Floats upside down?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

mr77rm

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 09:09:17 am »
Hey sorry guys I don't get on that often yeah I'll check out the stator and I'll clen the fuel tank out and add another filter then ill get back to you and as far as float is upside down would it run properly if it was upside down before I had the problem ?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 11:14:16 am »
If you put the floats in upside down they sink not float  ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 01:20:12 pm »
maybe the fuel tank breather is blocked? pull the fuel line off the carb and drain some fuel out into a container, if there's any blockage then the fuel flow with slow down and maybe stop after a few minutes.

Offline bigtoe

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:23:41 pm »
Does it have cdi igniton ? I had a yamaha 360 once and when the cdi box started to fail it would ride ok when cold but when hot would just cut out and you would have to wait till it cooled down before it would start again, I relaced it with another and problem solved