• Legend
    • View Profile
PE250
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:11:22 am »
1978 PE250
Engine No: PE250-20558
Frame No: PE250-20585
Compliance – 2/78

Whilst the bike is cosmetically challenged, mechanically it’s in better condition than most  PE’s on the market. This bike has been reconditioned, not restored so if you are looking for the basis of a garage queen restoration then there are probably cheaper more complete bikes around, although they will need significant more money spent on them than this bike. So if you have a mate that hounds you to go with you to a Vinduro and you’re looking for a cheap & reliable bike then this might be right up your alley.
Im looking for $1200 and would strongly suggest that an inspection before purchase is the go. Bike is located in Frankston, Victoria and can be looked at there or Pakenham by prior arrangement. Please PM me for more info.

Whats been done.
- Near new tubes & tyres fitted front & rear.
- Front & rear wheel bearings checked replaced where necessary.
- Front forks have been stripped, cleaned and fitted with new seals and fresh oil
- New rear shocks have been fitted.
- Head stem bearings and swing arm bushes have been cleaned & re-greased.
- The air box to carburettor boot has been replaced along with a near new air filter element.
- The engine was using more gearbox oil than fuel so it was stripped, new (genuine Suzuki) crank seals, gaskets & lock washers fitted.
- The clown who had it before me had welded the gear lever to the shaft so a good second hand shaft was fitted along with a new gear lever.
- All the cables have been checked, lubed & adjusted.
- It appears that the bars on the bike maybe the original items. They were given a coat of paint & fitted with new grips and a new kill switch.
- The seat is a steel based version and is in good knick, likewise the foam and cover.

Since the work was done i have only ridden it up and down my street and has not been for a decent ride to clean out the expansion chamber of the remnants of the crankshaft oil seal leak. Whilst i doubt the jetting will be an issue, this will also need to be checked, although i can confirm that the jets fitted are STD

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii489/Darley04/1977%20PE250/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:13:41 am by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: PE250
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:39:05 am »
Just curious, am I completely off the mark with to $'s that I have put on this bike?

Everything that I looked at was $400 to $600 and wasnt running or need pretty much everything. I've put new shocks on the rear (albeit entry level items) serviced the front forks with new seals and oil, fitted good tyres, new air filter and intake duct, wheel bearings etc which would be more than $600 for someone to do post purchase of a bike, and it doesn't have the usual welded on gear lever and kick start and every second bolt stripped.

Has the market slumped that much?
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

TM BILL

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:02:20 am »
Rod i dont think your pricing is out , seems like a good buy to me  ???

Do you have it advertised elsewhere , its only been on here for 5 days so pehaps nobody on here is currently in the market for a PE 250 .

People are probably gun shy to comment if their not prospective buyers as many have been shot down in the past for passing comment or having an opinion on somone elses for sale ad  ;)

While the bike is well priced buyers have to consider interstate transport cost that can easily kill a deal .

Me for the small cost involved would paint the tank (spaybomb ) and fit the correct style tank stickers and even fit a tail light into the fender . Shouldnt cost more than $50.00 all up , add the cost to the asking price and put it on ebay .

But as is i think it is a good buy  :)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:46:15 pm »
Yeah I think it is a fair price saying that though I bought a 400 not long ago for $860 on eBay I had a fair bit more on it too so I was surprised.

The only thing I could think of that maybe lets the bike down is the aluminum B tank instead of the plastic correct one.

I think too that people are reluctant to spend on a bike that has had some work done a lot of people will only buy a wreck or fully done bike so they know where they stand on what needs to be done.

I think it is fair though if I were after one I'd buy it but I sold most my 175 and 250 stuff to focus on my 400's.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:05:13 pm »
Michael,
Have I missed something as I was of the understanding that the tank fitment was original.
I have a 78 PE 250 and it's nothing like this bike so I assumed that the bike with the alloy tank is standard. I have tried to fit a plastic tank and it simply won't fit easily, particularly around the seat to tank area.
Rod
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:24:30 pm »
Well with a aus compliance plate doesn't make sense only the 77 B model had the aluminium tank here and no compliance plate but uk 77-84 PE models all were the B tank for the road laws over there.

Yeah a plastic tank wont fit on if it has been modified to suit the 250b tank.

I have seen a few pe's in Australia that have been modified to fit the 250b maybe not just a style thing maybe like a long range tank as the aluminium tank held more than the plastic.

Maybe it came out like that but I would be a bit sceptical like the motor and frame are dated at 78 number wise it has me a bit stumped all I could think is some one may have changed it suit the 250b tank. ???

Sorry I can't be more help.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »
Thats a good price and having the alloy tank is definately a bonus....I think it's just a sign of the times Rod and putting it on here for more than $2.50 would scare most of them away....ebay it my friend.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.