Author Topic: WTB - 1974 TM250 Frame - Unmolested  (Read 956 times)

Simo63

WTB - 1974 TM250 Frame - Unmolested
« on: June 11, 2012, 05:02:44 pm »
I know it might be a big ask but I'm after a very good 1974 TM250 frame that hasn't been modified in any way particularly around the rear shock mounts.  Also a swingarm to match.

I would prefer one that has all the original mounting bracketry in place and not a old junker frame if that is possible for a bike of this age.

Keen to get one asap if possible.

PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: WTB - 1974 TM250 Frame - Unmolested
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:37:55 pm »
I have a 76 TS 250 frame, would thy be the same bar removing some lugs ? anyone now for sure ? the motor in it looks like the 74 style with the side pull clutch so the motor mounts etc are the same for sure.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »
Freaky, the engine will swap straight over but things like the rear cradle uprights are changed to suit the up pipe of the TS, the rear brake pivot has the brake pedal swing under the frame where the TM is above to clear the down pipe. Footrest mounts on the TS are bolt on and many brackets such as airfilter, oil tank, frame covers, mudguard and seat mounts differ. Yes you could build a TM with a TS frame but it would take considerable work. For the vintage purists the end result would be something only the creator could/would appreciate ;)   

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:10:14 am »
and I am sure would not help Simo's cause?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:43:14 am »
I have a 76 TS 250 frame, would thy be the same bar removing some lugs ? anyone now for sure ? the motor in it looks like the 74 style with the side pull clutch so the motor mounts etc are the same for sure.

Hi Freaky.  I have it on good authority that the TS frame is actually lighter than the TM frame as it has thinner tube and if I was building a bike to be at the front of the pack then I might consider a pre 75 TS frame.  However as I am merely looking to reconstruct the TM that I have which, from what I understand, is a 74 bike with a 75 frame, I am looking to keep it both purely TM (aside from the RH parts) and pre strictly 75 so I never have to go through anything like what I did at the Nationals again.

So mate, thanks very much for the kind offer but I will keep working with what I have until a better 74 TM frame comes along .. if that ever happens  ;D

Cheers
Craig

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:09 pm »
i got 74 frames here but they have 74 motors and parts that belong to them, i just dont like braking up bikes. Soz but the Ts offer is there is ya change your mind.  cheers freaky ;)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff