Author Topic: WTB - Tyres - 21 and 18 knobbies or trials  (Read 1467 times)

gerpster

WTB - Tyres - 21 and 18 knobbies or trials
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:36:04 pm »
Am trying to get some tyres for my bikes so i can at least get on the track at Rockley and locally. Only riding them at meets so anything average is OK. Am after 2.75 or 3.0 x 21 and 4.1 up to 5.1 x 18 or the metric equivalent in knobbies or trials tread. Anything cheap is good. Can pick up at CD5 if OK. Please PM if you have anything suitable. many thanks...     :-\

Offline ELC hunter

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: WTB - Tyres - 21 and 18 knobbies or trials
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:41:14 pm »
This might sound cheap or smart but our local bike shops usually ,have tyres that are quite useable that they remove from bikes then throw away.When asked they normaly let you have a pick through ,and are happy to see them go for $0.

gerpster

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:15:48 pm »
Yeh I have seen posts suggesting this before BUT i am yet to come across any bike place here (ACT and we only have a few) that allows you to walk out with used tyres. A previous suggestion/thread alluded to possible insurance implications but I'm sure it's just they either don't have em here or they are more happy to chuck em...or I don't have the right friends... :-[

So still lookin....     :-\

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:30:33 pm »
Greg, depending on how good you want them to be, I can probably help you out.

You're right about the ACT shops doing the whole "No speaka englash" thing when you ask about used tyres... l guess is that they figure every old tyre they give-away/sell cheaply is one new tyre they don't sell. (they're wrong of course, but....)
It might be worth revisiting Joe's - I got a 'not-negative' response when I asked a few weeks ago. 

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:48:28 pm »
on the way past nathans last year i called into a shop and he gave me like 3 sets for nothing, i left some with nat cause he was asking for them back then, im not sure which way i went but i came from the wagga wagga way from sydney and it didnt seem to be all that big a township, all i remember was it was green.

IF you every come to SA, tell me and i can give arrange at least 1 6x4 trailer load, even at pitmans i could fill that for you, never mind going up to GC's.     I think there is a dumping level on them so giving them away makes them smile, i have noticed that the trail wings that Wr's come with dont seem to last too long on the road and usually get changed out early but still have heaps of side tread and centre for trail or dt stuff,  So i would be going out to a Yamaha dealer as they would have them there or a bike trye joint would have done some for sure.  i have never bought a new tyre for my beasts yet and have probally more MX 80% treads tyres than i will use in my lifetime.

Keep looking they are out there, you just need to widen your net, failing that do a weekend run to SA and take back a truck load and give them to all you mates at the club :O)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:03:33 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Yamaboy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:43:45 pm »
Freaky...You're slipping again. Watch that spelling and grammar.
Are things that bad Freaky that on one hand you are importing those high zoot flat trackers from the USA and on the other hand you are bludging second hand tyres out of bike shop skip bins. Get it together son.

gerpster

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:33:13 pm »
Well I resorted to an evil bay buy that was cheapish and included postage but only for 1 front tyre that's supposed to be 95% tread. I need more!!!!    :-\

If anyone can pinpoint a bike shop giving away tyres between Brisbane and Melbourne not too far off the highway then I can get them delivered airly cheaply (I think). Thanks for the info Freaky but SA is just too far outa the way right now to make any sense.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 04:46:54 pm »
it would be the same state wide, i think you need to cast you net a bit closer to civilisation.  trust me they love to get rid of them  = no dumping fee.

Look up a yamaha dealer on your routes, they will have some of those trailwings out the back for sure and then some. knobbies for all !

Yamaboy, they all go the same speed in the lounge room regardless of how much you spend on tyres.  Actually i dont take myself that seriously that i need to shell out for new Tyres once i loose the squares edges :O0, and the "beasts" i refer too are all those strays that keep finding there way back to my house.  So if its round and i can roll it round the shed they'll be fine.

i like to think of it like patina.   and yes i see the error of my spelling ways and will pick up my game .

But if greg wants cheap tyres , then cheap tyres he shall have, free tyres for all ! 

IM still working on the cheap shocks, but thats proving a 4 leaf clover.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:11:15 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff