Author Topic: Speedway Museum opening in Bathurst this Saturday  (Read 8977 times)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: Speedway Museum opening in Bathurst this Saturday
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 09:17:33 AM »
I know , I know !!, Hoony, I fergot ta post tha pics from last September , but I'll do it this time, it was a bugger of a day last time, persisting down with rain and bloody cold, probably kept a lot of people away, hope the weather holds this time, anyhoo, EA and I will catch up with Slides and take a few happy snaps.
Foss

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
no prob Foss, if you have time post them up.

i reckon it will be awhile till i get up that way to have an Optic.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »

Nine o’clock on a bright and frosty Abercrombie morning, EA and I headed north for the 75 K trip to Bathurst for the opening of Ash’s Speedway Museum.

We were both chattering away about who would be there and what else Ash Suttor had collected since we were last there, we were both really looking forward to the day.

We hit Bathurst and across town to the Orange road then turned left at the Motor Registry.

Bloody hell parking might be a problem but found a spot and wandered over to greet some of the mob gathered outside in the sun, you talk about old home week !!, anyhoo the muted roar of many conversations from the large building drew us inside, we paid the $ 10 admission , got our name tags and wandered inside.

Gob-smacked is an understatement,  there were so many people, ranging from multi world title holder Ivan Mauger to young Zack Cook from Cowra who is starting off in 125cc Junior Speedway.
In between there was Cec Platt, Kozza Smith and quite a few other younger riders, Kevin MacDonald was there and a heap of the older Short Circuit lads, Max and Brian Gill, Dave Knox, Bill Sims. I said G’day to and had a yarn with Peter White, one of Speedway’s biggest supporters  etc you get the picture.
The VSRA’s Bill Powell was there with a great display as was Dave Clifton and Greg Gallagher from the Canberra Bulls Speedway club.

I have never seen so many Skids bikes and memorabilia in one place, JAPS, Jawas, Wessies , Goddens , a Mierson/JAP, a Jawa / Wessie 4V conversion, longtrack bikes, a  couple of sidecars,
Racing Suits, hundreds of breastplates, programs , videos, press cuttings from many eras, you name it !! Onya Ash !!.

Here's a few general Pix, I'll post some of the individual bikes after tea

Foss

Curly3

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Thanks Foss for keeping us all informed, after hearing all those names I'm really pee'd off I couldn't make more of an effort to get up there.
It looks like he's done a great job so far and it looks like there is room for a few prized
additions as they become available.
I look forward to seeing more of your photo's.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »
Might have to do a bit of a road trip i think. I know it will make me want to spend some money. Looks great.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »
Thanks Slides, Ash has done a great job collecting and displaying all this memorabilia I'll look up and post his phone number and also ask him and post his opening times.

Most of these pix were taken after the crowd had thinned out.

OK the bikes, I'm gunna start off with an absolute gentleman of the Short Circuit world's bike, the late Dennis King's Elstar 84C JAP

Might be more yet

Foss

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
Thanks for the Pics Foss, looks like i need to plan a trip.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
These are the last pix cos I'm all computered out, Ash's phone number is 0414 240 164 and the museum's address is 2/10 Bradwardine road Bathurst

Mierson / JAP

Jawa / Weslake 4V

Greg Gallagher's Triumph skids outfit with it's crew just having a little rest

Foss

VSRA Sec., Bill Powell and Warren Crapp having a bit of a chinwag

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
That's a rare shot of my old mate Ces Platt without his customary cowboy hat! (distinguished looking gentleman with grey hair and skinny legs in the 6th photo down ;D)
The museum looks the goods. I'll have to grab Jonesy and old Frank and drive up and take a tour.

In a similar vein, the next issue of Jim Scaysbrooks 'Old Bike Australia' has a feature on Alan Jones' mega rare Aussie made SR60 speedway bike.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:16:16 PM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

trailietrash