Author Topic: TM250 clutch holding on.  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
TM250 clutch holding on.
« on: May 21, 2012, 02:50:12 pm »
OK so clutch was fine, but put some of that easter based Motul gearbox oil in it on the weeknd before storing for nats decide to run it to be sure everything opens and shuts.  did 3 up and downs thenthe clutch started to stall out and not disengage.??? Would partial slip but would still hold the gear, stopped but in gear dragging and trying to move forward ( stalled motor out if help on a line)

So i figure must be some anti slipping shit this fancy new oil so dumped it, cleaned the plates and check nothing out of the ordingary in there then and shoved motul cheap shit 20 -50w mineral oil......    in there.

Did a few passes around the house and tried to ride the clutch, seems better but you can still ride around with clutch in and get plenty of forward motion. if you hold it in gear it will struggle and stall out.

Am i missing somethign here or is this an oil issue ? i cant think of anythign else that has changed since i last used it.    Its possible i need to run the bike a little more to get the oil into the plates but im sure based on the squeal i heard at one point things are turning , just not sure whats holding it back .

Any ideas  or have i missed somethign here ???
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

Re: TM250 clutch holding on.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:59:36 pm »
Me  thinks the plates have dried out and need a good soaking in oil.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »
maybe...  i cant remember if i left it out of oil or whether i drained it to refill......  might be possible if i had left it out was after the last nats in sept ! 

when i pulled the plates to petrol wash em out from the easter oil and refill with mineral they looked dark not cream coloured dry.    How would that explain it running OK for 5 mins and then going into dry mode ?  I might leave it sitting till the weeekend then run it again.   Surley the  plates are in some oil now in the cover and should soak up into the plates via cappliary ?

good thinking thou stewy, will report back.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34:57 pm »
check all plates with verniers to match to std thickness just maybe you have slight oversize to std so fine and dandy when cold but with heat expansion not so, also check plates for warpage, are all other components allowing std normal clutch adjustment at cable/lever?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:34:32 pm »
nah it has worked for years and everythign looked normal.  only thing i have done was drain theoil and put new in. but as Stew pointed out i reckon i left the sump empty from Sept so it might be dry plates.  I heard a screech each start up.

I took the plates out and washed htme in petrol thinking it was the new motul red stuff i put in.  but new oil no differant.  Currenlty its in the lounge with the clutch engaged and hopefully its soaking up some oil as we speak.   cant be stuffed pulling it apart again ( lasy prick) so if it not self fixing i will just neutral at the gate and select when the gate drops.  Wait and see i guess.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:43:21 am »
yer sounds like your onto  it, me had sticky clutchs from just sitting around and after being rideing around came good  ;D so all the best on your quest