Author Topic: How to identify old ESO & JAWA engines?  (Read 6437 times)

Offline Dutch

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
How to identify old ESO & JAWA engines?
« on: May 10, 2012, 04:45:23 pm »
I have a list with Jawa 2 valve serial numbers by year from 1966 till 1978, but how can you find the production year of Jawa and ESO's made before 1968. For some time the year number was given as a part of the engine number. When was this practice stopped (maybe 1968?) Does anyone know the engine number or year the side drive cases changed from 6 webs to 8 webs. I am specialy interested in all the small different details from old ESO engine, like rocker valve cover, cooling fins on the barrel, etc.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: How to identify old ESO & JAWA engines?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:50:41 pm »
Early one have the wide fin at the bottom for undoing the head.  and i think the numbers are cast on the side i know mine does have 72 on it.   Also the ealry ones dont have the cross drilling in the head for the oil to run back arcoss to the push rod tubes, so you can see the 2 little lines on the right side near the oil union bolt that indicates that.

Obviously the cover has the bolt on eso plate too and also the case cast webs as you say.  Also the cranks are different with parrallel vs the taper set up.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How to identify old ESO & JAWA engines?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:54:19 pm »
No doubt the parralel pin is important , I saw the drive side crankcase on Matt Daly's ride at Taree shattered at the startline [some time ago!]
pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!