Author Topic: Future Vintage Elsinore Project  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Future Vintage Elsinore Project
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:36:56 pm »
Not that I don't already have enough half-finished vintage projects, but I finally picked up a '73 CR250m frame to go along with my pile of Elsinore parts.

I'll start by refinishing the frame and adding wide pegs and billet triple clamps.  I have forks with emulators ready and a set of wheels with Excel rims and stainless spokes.  Also have 13.5 Ohlins shocks.  I'll go with a Clarke plastic tank, as I have no Green Stripe alloy tank and I wouldn't want to damage one on a race bike anyway.  I'm still looking for a cool swingarm.  I would like to find a Red Line swingarm, but would settle for any thing really cool looking (not really into the US Sport/TM engineering type).  I have a few MT250 bottom ends and a CR top-end and close ratio gears that I plan to use for the engine build up.

Any hints or advice on which direction I should go with this thing?  Reed-valve?  Cut the frame?  Buy a Husky Mag instead?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Future Vintage Elsinore Project
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:50:11 pm »
I prefered my Mag 250 over the cr250M
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:37:23 pm »
What about your ossa? Would you rather ride a cr?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:05:17 pm »
I had a '74 CR250 elsinore that had the frame mod to steepen the steering angle and a reed valve, DG pipe, 38 mikuni, Works Performance shocks, all new '76 model gears etc. It was as good as anything out there but a lot of work went into it.
13.5 shocks are too short, std is 14.25, you will only make the steering slower.
I wouldn't mess around with any MT parts, those bikes weren't much good and the cases have the oil pump in them. CR bits are plentifull in the US

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:21:45 pm »
you can use the mt cases to build your cr
cr crank has shorter lhs as the ignition has intermal rotor and the mt is external
if you use the mt clutch you must use the mt primery drive gear.
cr barrel and head fit on mt cases
if you want you can cut away the housing for the oil pump i have a set as spare as most cr cases are shot anyway
clutch cover is the same kick start gears are the same.
pm me if you want to know more
jim

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:50:01 pm »
Use the CR bottom end and the MT top end ;) or put the CR gearbox into the MT engine and tell everyone that that's the way they came from Honda.
Jesus only loves two strokes