Author Topic: Honda XR250 '84/'85 - eligible Pre85  (Read 1669 times)

Montynut

Honda XR250 '84/'85 - eligible Pre85
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »
Can anyone tell me if the '85 XR250r is considered a carry over model for Pre85 VMX? The '84 and '85 models are basically the same as far as I know but happy to be corrected as I'm only going on memory from back in the day. The bike changed back to single carb plus rear disk for '86

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Honda XR250 '84/'85 - eligible Pre85
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:02:49 am »
I would say it's eligable but considering how unreliable they were, cracked heads and wooly carbs not enough oil etc, why would you bother. Last year I was offered a twin carb XR 11 times by people who know I fix up bikes for fun and not profit and every single one just needs
"minor work"
to the head  ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) >:( >:( >:(

Boat anchors I say every last one..... :'(
Ban BLACK rims NOW

STW996

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:51:11 pm »
So Cyclegod you seem to be a bit of a Honda hater??

We had these Honda's in the day as new bikes and flogged the piss and pick handles out of them and they kept coming back for more!!

Now as a 28 year old bike I am sure they show some wear and tear but I would be happy to own one (but then again I like Honda's).

The 85 had the increased oil volume (0.9 up to 1.1 litres) and differing frame rails (to compensate) for the engine case change, outside of this they were pretty much the same bike.

Just on the point of the cylinder cracking Brett (brother Brett) had one for years and had no issue, he did also have a 86 model 600 that had the same problem. He did not fix it and had no issue with it. (they would crack between the valve seats, seat to seat).

So on your point of a carry over model they are not as they are not the same but splitting hairs one would think?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:40 am »
I've seen lots with rooted heads too.
Spoke to a bloke at Rockley Vinduro who had rewelded the cracked head and fitted smaller exhaust valves (and bored out to ~280 and some other stuff). He reckoned it was holding up well.
It sure sounded sweet - way better than any other I've heard.

Also, FWIW, the 1986 model was a whole new (and much better) bike, but the first year of the rear disc was '90.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.