Author Topic: unregistered-uninsured  (Read 5276 times)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: unregistered-uninsured
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 02:11:41 am »
speaking of unbelievable luck,
same mates already been to court {quicker than a murder trial} and the judge was in a good mood and reduced the fine to $200.
as i understand it, in QLD its $180min for unregistered and $300min for uninsured.
so thats a minimum of $480. he wasn;t wearing a helmet either but the cops let that one go.
makes me think twice about giving it a quick tune up the street.
"flat bickie"

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 09:50:40 am »
Actually $480 isn't too bad. When you think about how much rego costs each year and weigh that out with how often you might get caught. You might actually come out ahead. Losing points would be the only downfall.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 10:21:27 am »
as a rough comparison,
club memebership=$40ish
recreation liscence=$100ish
practise fee         =$20ish
 which adds up to around the $160 mark
but having said all that, i too am guilty of giving my bikes a quick run up the street.
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 10:43:42 am »
I don't know why but by the time the magistrate got to our case he must have softened up a bit and we only copped a $50 fine each.

Freaking hell ya an arsey B Firko  ;D. Especially after one of you tried the Harold Holt and there were multiple rangers and a chopper involved.

Hear stories like this and you wonder about a court system. I know a story of 10 guys having a blokey w.e. up at the Pines behind Clarence. Hired 10 bikes from Sullivan's and just low level dirt fun in a limited area around the Pines. Trail Bike Squad turns up points out the legal situation. Blokes; 'shit, didn't realise, we'll pack up and go home'. Cops; 'good idea, take this $1300 fine with ya! (x 10)'  :-[

I wasn't involved and barely know the guys but it still pisses me off to think the 'system' treats the citizens this way.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:16:37 pm by mx250 »

211kawasaki

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 11:05:37 am »
In 1978 my ride to school was an H2750, I was riding to my girlfriend Jennys house and poped a wheely at the St Ives lights and as it clicked 4th on the back wheel an XB Cop car came out on the other side of the street. So what does a dumb 17yo do in this case? After a few minutes of trying to out run said yellow XB cop car and speeds in excess of 85 miles an hour I just couldnt shake him and got held up in traffic out front of the St Ives show grounds so I decided to give it up and pull over.

When the cops got out they basicaly arrested me and locked me up at Pymble Police station, did the finger print thing, threats, even had the pink pages on standby - to say I was shitting myself was an understatement. I was charged with unlicenced, unrego, failing to stop, manner dangerous. It took untill about 8pm that night for Mum to come and bail me out, the old Man was O/S at the time.

Off to court we went and before the Judge had a chance to say a word the Old Man jumped up and suggested that he had no concerns about whatever penality that was applied but suggested that the sale of the bike and the money received would be a good financial package and the Judge agreed so it was a court order that I sell the bike and the money went in the fine. All $380.00 I got for it - I shit you not. Also 18 months loss of licence in the mix.

The upshot of it all was it took me years to really realise how short my life expectations were if I had have kept the thing so the Old Man really did me a favour and we still have a laugh about today, I think at 47 I am sensible enough to have an H2750 now but cant buy one for less than 10k.

It was a mad mad world in the 70s in Sydney. Really amoungst it all I think I lament the loss of that time - feel - vibe when you could get away so lightly and live to tell the tail!!!

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 03:18:41 pm »
In keeping with the stolen bikes/insurance thing I remember a story where the Cops lack of knowledge did them out of an arrest:

A mate of a mate told how the Police called at his shared house one night and proceeded to look around. Apparently a Kawasaki dirt bike had been stolen in the area and they were looking for it.
One Copper looked under a bed and pulled out a triple clamp (the triple clamp from the stolen bike).
"So what's this?" he asked.
"That's a steering dampener for a HQ Holden" was the grubs reply.

and the Copper put it back - apparently he knew nothing about bikes...
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"