Author Topic: Can Am, anybody ?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Can Am, anybody ?
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:32:45 pm »
I've been following a  ' 79 Can Am 175 on ebay and bailed out when it went over my mental limit, and then began to kick myself.  It looked like a really light tidy sort of a bike with a pokey 175 in it.  Didn't  know enough about them but am now intrigued and looking for another one.  Any of you Can Am guys able to fill me in on the good news and bad news ?   :-\  :-\    Cheers,   T250.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Can Am, anybody ?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:45:37 pm »
They use Rotax motors. The air cooled Rotax engines where made up until the mid '90's. ATK and SWM used them as well.  Parts are available through Bert Flood imports in melbourne. Rotax parts are notoriously expensive.  But the engines are well built and reliable. I have a 83 KTM 500 4 stroke with a shot Rotax motor and was quoted $3,500 just for parts.
They seem to wreck a few Can ams on US ebay I see quite a few 175 parts. Mostly early '70's.
Some years back a mate of a mate had a 74 Can am 250 at a swap meet. Fully rebuilt motor, clean and tidy with a spare bike for $250. He begged and harassed  me for an hour to buy it. I just wasn't in a buying mood and turned it down. Kicked myself ever since.
I did end up getting a 82 500 Sonic. Paid premium for it, but they are hard to come by.

All Things 414

Re: Can Am, anybody ?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:00:15 am »
This guy seems to know a bit about them. http://www.classiccanam.com/
They seem to have a lot of stuff for them. Probably no more trouble than my Montesticles. I reckon they'd be a pretty cool bike...... 8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:02:21 am by All Things 414 »