Author Topic: WA VMX Newbie CR400 Husky  (Read 1364 times)

Grant CR400

WA VMX Newbie CR400 Husky
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:45:24 pm »

G/day All,

My name is Grant i raced junior MX in the 70's and early 80's at Noble Falls,Orange Grove and Northam MX club,started at the age of 5 on QA50's, had many bikes CR80's RM80's used to do quite well came 3rd Aust championships in Esperance one year,and even made the cover of a race program for Orange grove which i still have.Dad used to cart us everywhere,he also used to race in the 60's with the likes of Charlie West he has some great pics somewhere i will find them and show you all.

Im going to join the WA VMX club this year and go and have a crack mainly for fun & to socialize.
I sold a TM400 i had complete but a bit of a basket and purchased a CR400 Husky of a guy who brought it of a guy on this site(link below).
It's been in the shed now for about six months and ive just started getting it ready for the coming season,i was a bit dissapointed when i first saw it as it looks pristine in the photos but it wasnt(seat torn and melted cracked rear guard and allover very untidy imo ) , so with a bit of negotiating i got it at a very good price.

Ive spent the last three days sorting it out, repainted the fork legs as they were covered in blue overspray,and a heap of other stuff that needed doing so to make it my own.Its now very close to showroom cond and i dont want to dirty it but i will.
Ive done a heap of research it's actually a 73 model and the guy i brought it off agreed there are some other questions i will ask later as im not sure on some other stuff about the bike.
Have a good day & thanks for reading, see you on  race day.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=14651.msg146869#msg146869

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: WA VMX Newbie CR400 Husky
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:22:31 pm »
My name is Grant i raced junior MX in the 70's and early 80's Orange Grove

Welcome Grant..
A little story on Orange Grove Caravan Park...
In June last year some of the VMXWA team went on a road trip to the Classic Nationals Crystal Brook SAust.
Each night we camped along the way..One evening while bush walking in the middle of the never never, I came across an old road sign "Orange Grove Caravan Park ....Ph # and other details with good quality paint for back in those days anyway.
I hauled it back to camp.  :P
The truck driver with the fully laden load of our VMX bikes pipes up and say "hey, I live next to that Caravan Park.....so the conversation rolled into old tracks and more bench racing around the evening camp fire..  :P
The truck driver now has this sign hanging proudly in his shed..  8)
Legendary Orange Grove  ;)   8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Grant CR400

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »
Thanks,

Orange Grove was a great track till they closed the tip have some good memories from there Jeff Leisk used to come down and give us free riding schools also.We used to stay with the Leisk family in Bullfinch on the King of the cross weekends.

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:41:40 am »
Welcome Grant, I too was a product of WA MX in the early 70's. BSA Club Noble Falls Track and did all the tracks in WA with the State Rounds of MX. But I must admit I don't remember Orange Grove? Anyway welcome and enjoy the sport and your Husky and especially the WA VMX scene. If you have any 1970's MX photo's don't forget to post them here.

Regards,
             Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Grant CR400

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:48:33 pm »
 Hi Mate,

Here is some history of WAJMX from their website.(Orange Grove)     

The club began life in 1972 as the W.A Mini Bike Club, making use of a member's property in Forrestdale as our first track. The largest capacity machine in those days was a mere 60cc! From Forrestdale, we club moved to Helena Valley for a brief spell before moving to Chidlow where a track was established on some farmland. After all the hard work was done, a number of problems forced us to withdraw from this venue.

Soon followed a visit by club members to Parliament House. The resulting television publicity together with assistance from Motor car and Motorcycling companies, helped us to secure the use of some space in Kurnall Road, Welshpool. Unfortunately, industrial development early in 1978 forced the club to once more seek a new home. The following two years passed with us riding at the B.S.A Noble Falls circuit.

In 1979 we became incorporated, changing our name from the W.A Mini Bike Club to the West Australian Junior Motocross Club. Inc. Around this time, the club gained permission from the City of Gosnells to use some land adjacent to the Kelvin Road tip in Orange Grove. The Orange Grove track was the venue for a number of state rounds over the next few years and proved to be a popular facility, partly because of the luxuries; a scoring tower, canteen, pit setup and steel fall-away starting gates.

In the early eighties, dedicated club members spent long hours in negotiation which resulted in us obtaining the use of some land originally utilised by the now defunct Eastern Hills Motorcycling Club, on the Old Northern Road in Chidlow. Much of the equipment from Orange Grove was dismantled, relocated and re-commissioned at the new Chidlow facility, where it remains in use today.

The first meeting at Chidlow was run on August 21, 1983, and the track was officially opened by the Minister of Sport and Recreation the Hon. K.J Wilson. M.L.A on Sunday 25 September, 1983.

On February 23, 1992, an open meeting was held celebrating the club’s 20th Anniversary and the circuit was officially named ERIC WALTER PARK honouring that life member.

Since those early days, a tremendous amount of hard work by parents and committee members has made this venue one of the finest motocross circuits in the region.

From our ranks have emerged riders such as Bryan Starring & Shaun Redhead, who have excelled at the higher level of motocross. More importantly, it has helped to form firm family bonds and to instil discipline and sportsmanship into its young members.

In 2007, we celebrated our 35th Anniversary.