Author Topic: pre65 front hub/brake  (Read 2067 times)

mainline

pre65 front hub/brake
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:06:34 pm »
what's a good choice for a pre65 front wheel in terms of availability/price and braking performance.

I've got a Rickman front hub already but finding a s/h 40 hole rim is looking to be a problem. Are there any 36 hole hubs that are as good/better etc.

cheers

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
Re: pre65 front hub/brake
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:22:30 pm »
I've got a vgood 21" 40 hole ridgeless D.I.D that probable came out of a Can Ambulance..Interested???..it is in WA.. pm me

mainline

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:19 pm »
I appreciate the offer, but somehow I've managed to get my mind set on using mudcatcher rims  ::) ;D

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:56:16 am »
cz hubs and wheels front and rear
i am using a complete cz front end for my pre 65 bike
jim

mainline

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:26:57 pm »
Are pre65 cz wheels easy to come by or are later cz wheels still eligible?

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:34:31 pm »
this is were the story gets thin
pre65 cz front post 65 cz front same
pre 65 cz rear rivet sprocket mount post 65 cz rear bolted cprocket mount moot point

mainline

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:42:37 pm »
So the front can be any era but the rear must be riveted?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:51:47 pm »
Paul.....I've just done a stocktake in the mancave and found both 40 hole Borrani and Akront mudcatchers that are earmarked for projects that I can loan you until another one eventually comes up. I then rang Jonesy to see if he can help, only to find that he's a bit low on 40 holers and actually needs one for his Monark project.

The other option is to get the mudcatcher idea out of your head for the moment and take up Watto's kind offer and use the ribless Can-Am DID rim. If it was me building a B40 on a budget like you I'd be looking to cut costs and take as many cheaper options as feasible. In doing that you can have the bike up and running while you hunt down the rims and other bling bits to add to the bike later on. The money you save by using the DID rim can be put into another facet of the build. You'll also save you the expense of paying the crazy money these things often go for, for another mudcatcher for the rear. I've got a Honda XL DID rim that's drilled for a CZ that you can have for shite. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:01:55 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

mainline

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »
Paul.....I've just done a stocktake in the mancave and found both 40 hole Borrani and Akront mudcatchers that are earmarked for projects that I can loan you until another one eventually comes up. I then rang Jonesy to see if he can help, only to find that he's a bit low on 40 holers and actually needs one for his Monark project.

The other option is to get the mudcatcher idea out of your head for the moment and take up Watto's kind offer and use the ribless Can-Am DID rim. If it was me building a B40 on a budget like you I'd be looking to cut costs and take as many cheaper options as feasible. In doing that you can have the bike up and running while you hunt down the rims and other bling bits to add to the bike later on. The money you save by using the DID rim can be put into another facet of the build. You'll also save you the expense of paying the crazy money these things often go for, for another mudcatcher for the rear. I've got a Honda XL DID rim that's drilled for a CZ that you can have for shite. 

The problem is I tend to get fixated on the details ;D I see your point though, I'll have a chat to Watto and go from there. I'm good for a mudcatcher rear though, Vandy fixed me up with an old one. Thanks though.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 06:26:20 pm »
Trying to find decent CZ rear hubs seems to be a major, both I've bought have loose bearing housings which I haven't gotten my head around how best to fix & can't seem to find the enthusiasm to worry too much

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:38:37 am »
Is it not poss to turn the CZ hub out to take a steel collar and then fit the bearing into that?

On the subject of hubs Wasp, I have the same issue with what rear to build. What constitutes a pre75 outfit? In the MA manual it says RT14 or earlier but I remember Bongy riding an RT15 with short shocks and a drum rr brake. There is nothing about drum rears as disc rrs where available from Wasp in 75 I think. 

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 12:49:55 pm »
There are a couple of 'bubble guard' models running pre75-how's this happening??
sorry-don't mean to hi-jack the thread.

mainline

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
There are a couple of 'bubble guard' models running pre75-how's this happening??
sorry-don't mean to hi-jack the thread.

All good, all bike related and interesting even if I'm not a sidecar loon