Author Topic: joy to the world, new 2 strokes come  (Read 6416 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: joy to the world, new 2 strokes come
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 02:15:13 pm »
I'm not sure of those other changes bahnzy, I work at a ktm/husaberg dealership and am only aware of the things I mentioned but the only way we found out about the different pistons was when we were rebuilding one.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 11:23:12 pm »
Another writeup on the KTM250 .
Both have contiual improvement and the 2012 years end outcome will be interesting results for the market ..  :P
Roger DeC still in the Orange seat this coming year ?

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_1102_2011_ktm_250_xc_first_test/viewall.html
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:42:30 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 11:56:40 pm »
If you ride a modern 250 or 300 2 stroke they are really the grunt kings on the steep trails, you can use the torque on the edge of the power band, rather than have explosive wheel spin and flame outs
You don't  have to convince me ,........ been on them for the past 15 (or so) years .
Maximum ride time, minimal hassle ,........ when compared to modern 4str grenades
Only  normal maintenance / consumables  & a piston kit every 2/3 years  ...... too easy ;D

Regards ,
               Steve

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:55:04 am by b490 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 04:49:04 pm »
You don't  have to convince me ,........ been on them for the past 15 (or so) years .
Maximum ride time, minimal hassle ,........ when compared to modern 4str grenades  

This CRF engine is on Trade Me at the moment, comes with optional HRC oversize crank case breather  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:50:57 pm by marcFX »
formerly Marc.com

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 05:47:20 pm »
shit doesn't look like much is salvageable there Marc !
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 08:40:00 pm »
Aah Hoony, you missed the obvious.... along with the grenade cases there will be a good CRF chassis just begging for the spare CR500 motor you have lurking some where....
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 10:28:23 pm »
On the subject of late model 2 strokes. I have had the pleasure of owning a 300exce 08. after approx 3000k's i pulled the top end off it, to fiind that the bore still looks great, cross haching all good no nip marks and the bike runs like new in any case. After writing the part number of the piston,  I put it all back togeather and still  all good. The question is should i put another piston in it and give it a light hone, or just leave well enough alone. Its only a social ride bike, but i tend to give it a bit...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 08:32:05 am »
On the subject of late model 2 strokes. I have had the pleasure of owning a 300exce 08. after approx 3000k's i pulled the top end off it, to fiind that the bore still looks great, cross haching all good no nip marks and the bike runs like new in any case. After writing the part number of the piston,  I put it all back togeather and still  all good. The question is should i put another piston in it and give it a light hone, or just leave well enough alone. Its only a social ride bike, but i tend to give it a bit...
Brett

(My View)
At 3000 km's put a piston in it before it cracks the web off it and it will cost you a bomb. A hint with Katoh's, if you don’t have to pull the head off, don’t. As they get on in life there has been more than the odd owner that has struggled to get the head to reseal onto the barrel after it has been removed. If it isn’t leaking and it doesn’t need to come off then don’t take it off.
As you have already checked the piston to see what grade it is, the other point to make sure is that you measure the best part of what’s left of your base gasket as they are selective fit. A good KTM dealer will ask you what thickness gasket is fitted, a not so good dealer will give you what’s on the shelf.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 10:10:44 am »
Aah Hoony, you missed the obvious.... along with the grenade cases there will be a good CRF chassis just begging for the spare CR500 motor you have lurking some where....

Try finding a spare CR500 motor these days for a reasonable price, been a few too many CRF450s needing new engines.
formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 09:50:26 am »
The story I got years ago was that the 2 strokes with power valve and water jackets and pumps were almost as hard to rebuild as a 4 banger so that's why everyone went that way.
I guess the newer gen 4strokes are very highly strung and need lots of TLC.

I also figured that it was time for the 2smokers to make a come-back as that will give the kiddies a new focus and they will dump their CRFs etc... like --because they are sooo yesterday :D