Author Topic: Takin you back :-)  (Read 1726 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Takin you back :-)
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:45:42 pm »
Have a listen to these, bet you come up with some awesome memories  :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVcX-zPUKlI&feature=g-vrec&context=G214ee9eRVAAAAAAAACA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs3Wjlfwzw

I was just about to finish school, it was time to nail all the horse riding chicks at the local bike tracks  lol
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Takin you back :-)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 04:56:49 pm »
And 1972, I discovered motocross and the awesome Suzuki TM125

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxbQO4C6kM&feature=related

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »
In 74 my brother and I had bought a TY80 secretly on laybuy with our pocket money.We decided on the TY as it was about $100 cheaper than a YZ and we just couldn't wait any longer . It turned out to be a great choice for our first real bike ( Gemini's dont count) we convinced the Olds that it wasnt dangerous because it was a trials bike - very slow   ;) and proceeded to race it against the local XR75.When he wasn't around we rode it through the construction site next door ,though frames and over piles of dirt and eventually down and along trenches .We didnt get any complaints about noise and often took the radio and hung it on the fence so that the one that wasnt riding could groove out and keep a check on the time.We would always yell out hey my turn come on ! but I never yelled out when this was playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIUf8eYPqA

good times for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C26VOdXan4    or this  :)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:32:12 pm »
Yeh definately a couple of my faves, couldn't see you on a TY lol  ;-)

Drunk parties, dancin around to Skyhooks at Gary Dewildt's parents place in Carrum Downs at age 15, riding my TM125 up against his MT250, wow I am back there now  :-)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:40:56 pm »
Yeh definately a couple of my faves, couldn't see you on a TY lol  ;-)

Drunk parties, dancin around to Skyhooks at Gary Dewildt's parents place in Carrum Downs at age 15, riding my TM125 up against his MT250, wow I am back there now  :-)

Yer I was already over 6 ' , after a while I got the hang of putting my leg over the handle bar in the tight corners.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:56:47 pm »
Scanning back through the '72, '74 and '75 Billboard charts brought back to me how much shit there was on the radio back then, it got even worse after '75......Did people actually buy John Denver, Tony Orlando and Dawn and the Captain and Tenille records? Thank god that the alternative scene created some of rocks better music...Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young and any number of good hard rock and progressive bands that proliferated during that period.(as opposed to crap pretenders like Grand Funk Railroad that show up on the '75 list).  One singer on there that brought back sad memories was seeing poor Minnie Ripperton whom I saw at Disneyland of all places in an invitation only New Years Eve show in 1978 that I won tickets for in a radio contest. She was absolutely brilliant but she was so sick they had to carry her off stage after three songs....she died a few months later. Hall and Oates* and Earth Wind and Fire were the other acts.
* I was stoked to notice that John Oates had a Maico sticker on his guitar ;D.

Great memories for sure, in 1974 I was racing both 250 and 440 Maicos on MX and DT plus my beloved 350 squarie in dirt track (we had a 350 class back then). I was living in sin with my first proper girlfriend in trendy Paddington, drove the only brand new car I've ever owned (a VIP Valiant 318) and life was a non stop hoot. The only better year in my life was 1976 but that's another story for another day ;D.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:08:27 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:31:54 pm »
"Greetings from Asbury Park" is one of my fav's-  then and ,every Blue Moon, now.
I was working at Action Suzuki in Wentworth Av,late 80's, and John Denver came in to buy a bike. He rode to the shop and parked his bike out front with the rest of the bikes for sale.There were 20 odd bikes lined up, rear to kerb, when his toppled over as he got off it. Classic Domino effect followed with about 6 or so bikes crashing over. I remember him standing by, a tall lanky laid back guy,while we picked them up thinking this bloke is either stoned or an idiot. Someone twigged that it was John Denver and we had him there for a while ,talking and buying a bike etc. Came across as a down to earth guy who loved his bikes-
I can't remember if he was trying to park a plane when he left us.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:09:01 pm »
... but she was so sick they had to carry her off stage after three songs....she died a few months later. Hall and Oates* and Earth Wind and Fire were the other acts.

Earth Wind and Fire are touring in April ! And would still be worth a look. Actually I thought Don Brewer, the drummer from Grand Funk was pretty good... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....