Author Topic: 500 MX 86  (Read 3452 times)

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
500 MX 86
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »
Tomorrow Im going to look at a KTM500MX 86,any comments or advise on these bikes would be great.Are parts still available and easy to come by?Anything I should look out for?Its through a dealer who wants arond the $3500 mark,is this the going rate?He also has stuff like yz490s,cr500s etc but I think I would like something a bit different.Im also hopefully going to look at a Husky XC430.Anyway any advise appreciated as Im really having a hard time making up my mind on which bike to buy,I like them all ;D

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
Re: 500 MX 86
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:30:58 pm »
What class are you interested in racing in? If any that is.

Personally, for something different, I like the big bore Husky's. For more mainstream I prefer YZ490's but realistically CR, RM and KX 500's etc. are probably all round better bikes.

In the end it really comes down to what type of use you want it for (race, recreation or show) and what really floats your boat.

Sorry not much help there  :)

Cheers
Shaun

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:05:42 pm »
No worries Shaun,Im really only interested in how they are as a race bike,not into the show thing and have other bikes for recreation.So you would say a YZ490,CR or KX500 would outperform?Keen to hear about any probs etc they may have,doesnt seem to be too much info online but I did read the waterpump housing suffers from corrosion.I really would like something different,the only thing that puts me off is the left side kick start.The fact that this will be the only bike Ill be able to afford for some time so I want to get the right one.Either way I will be bringing home a bike tomorrow unless they are all complete crappers.

Simo63

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »
No worries Shaun,Im really only interested in how they are as a race bike,not into the show thing and have other bikes for recreation.So you would say a YZ490,CR or KX500 would outperform?Keen to hear about any probs etc they may have,doesnt seem to be too much info online but I did read the waterpump housing suffers from corrosion.I really would like something different,the only thing that puts me off is the left side kick start.The fact that this will be the only bike Ill be able to afford for some time so I want to get the right one.Either way I will be bringing home a bike tomorrow unless they are all complete crappers.

Hi James

I'm guessing the line "only bike I can afford for some time" means you won't be buying the CR250 then? 

Is this Mac'gyver you are going to see James?

Cheers
Craig
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:35:35 pm by Simo63 »

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:51:56 pm »
Just my two bobs worth - I actually like the Husky 430 as they are a sweet ride. Not as powerful as the other bikes but you can ride them flat chat for longer. Also being Evo legal, depending on your club you may be able to ride up a class and join in with the pre85 guys for some more fun.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 04:49:33 pm »
Pretty cool bike - quite rare too.

The rear brakes copped criticism back in the day for behind prone to overheating and wearing out pads quickly.

Forks will be ordinary (WP USDs or maybe Marzocchi RWUs), but can be improved.

I assume the KTM500s have the same water-pump corrosion issues as the 250s & 125s. I believe the rest of the motors are indestructable - the old Mahle pistons are worth a fortune, but last forever.

Miles behind the 89 KX/CRs (and the 89 KTMs, for that matter) if you're after a serious race bike for modern tracks - but if you're not super fast, the bike will keep you amused for a LONG time.

Personally, an 86/87 CR250 or 88 KX250 (or 89 if you get a USA model) would be my choice for a fast, durable, easy to live with pre-90 race bike.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:40:32 pm »
Go for it. If I was able to afford this I would have it. Is it on ebay at the moment. If so I think its the wrong tank. Looks like the enduro tank not MX.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:48:20 pm »
Rough pipe, DC sideplates (and maybe shrouds), dented rim, enduro tank...

Have you seen AJVMX's '88 KX500 for $3500?

An '88 KX5 is a better race bike, although the KTM is rarer/more interesting.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:54:29 pm »
I ended up with a 88 CR500,The KTM wasnt a bad bike but the CR was too nice not to buy.Im very happy with it.Just ordering some new plastics now,Cheers for all the advice :)

Offline tmman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 05:42:28 pm »
oh james LEE, [hopefully not one of my chineese relatives that haggle over a bowl of rice] why the 100 questions,, if your good enough to ride a 500 to its potential pick the worst one n beat everone,, if not pick the worst one n ride round n have fun like everyone else,, leave the forum to more important things like english lessons
'how do i say wiseco" wtf
my mom used to say if i had the washin off the line by 3.30 my home work done by 4 i could go ride!!!!! maybe if i had a computer,, oh wait they weren't availble then..i'd waste valuable time on it.. the point is your question is rather or was rather mute.. pick a colour any colour.. cause with suspension tech etc these days just about any colour is up there!!! 
now if you wanna come out n play you'll have to sort your suspension,, get a few more hp n put on slicks then we can do some mx trainin..

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 06:53:30 pm »
Hi tmman, no I am not Chinese, but I do love a good bowl of fried rice. Why the 100 questions? Cause I'm not an expert on all makes and models as I haven't owned them all and this is a bike forum, that's why I'm on here. But can't seem to find any threads on english lessons.
I also haven't said anywhere I can ride a 500 to its full potential, I can honestly say I don't think anyone in the world could, that's why I love them.
I don't think the question was mute considering I received replies, rather thought provoking by the looks of it. Lucky for me, I can ride everyday on my 100acre property, so yes, I can play, but I think my suspension will be just fine.
Thank you for your cheeky advice and look forward to racing with you at the track :)

Offline tmman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:36 pm »
 oh only a 100acres,,but your so far outta town.. if your in bris come visit 186 acres 200m elevation excavator n bob cat to help out..n i'm pretty sure some people could or can ride them now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i see your after plastics..nice bke you bought.. if the plastics are sus hope the bike is ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never nasty just a realist!!!!!!!!!!

mainline

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 11:36:15 pm »
Is it open invitation to this 186 acre ride park?

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 07:14:50 am »
Congratulations James.  For what it's worth I reckon you made a good decision. Not that the KTM is a bad bike just that unless your really into the Euro stuff the Japanese bikes are possibly easier to live with. Just my opinion.

Your question was indeed mute as is the case with questions in the written form  ???  It was not however moot as the points you asked about are debatable as can be seen by the replies to your post

I wish I could get out and ride on my own private track. I hope you enjoy your new toy mate  ;D

Cheers
Shaun