Author Topic: A5 Kawasaki on Swapmeet  (Read 925 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
A5 Kawasaki on Swapmeet
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »
FOR SALE

Ad # 3185363   December 11, 2011
Two 1979 Kawasaki KX250-A5 parts bikes - $1800
http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=jgquA8jDnccVMpTA&w=4

FIRST BIKE (More complete bike)
Both bikes appear to have failed stators. This bike has no spark and I tried both CDIs on it, but looking at the stators on both bikes, I can see that both stators may be bad, or the stator on the complete bike may just need the corrosion cleaned off so it won't make contact with the rotor. I am uncertain whether either CDI is good.
The cylinder actually looks good to me while peering through the exhaust port to the intake side. The exhaust-side skirt of the piston looks good near the bottom. The top of the piston near the rings really appears to be cracked in the photo, but doesn't feel cracked at all when I run my finger over it. I can't be certain what the reason for the pattern is, but I am still not certain whether the piston is cracked.
The exhaust pipe appears very good except at the rear where it meets the muffler. Vibration may have worn it(?)
The intake manifold (carb-to-cylinder) has silicone all over the outside but I don't know that it actually cracked through completely. I believe that many people fill in cosmetic cracks, thinking that the cracks penetrate the entire depth.
There is also some silicone repair to the airbox on both bikes (see photos) but they still appear to be usable.
The Progressive shocks on the complete bike have very rusty shafts.
The right side frame mount tabs are broken off that are intended to support the seat and rear fender. One rear fender tab on the left hand side is broken as well.

SECOND BIKE (Less complete bike)
This bike has a nice Sun front rim.
This bike appears to have low hours on it. Wear from use appears limited. I think it became a parts bike for the other bike early in life.
The parts bike has a nice Sun front rim.
OEM shocks have nice clean unrusted, unpitted shafts, and damping.
Swingarm should clean up nicely, including the grunge on the drive chain side.
Really rusty stator.
Crank turns smoothly (not notchy) but it doesn't turn freely: there is resistance. It is probably rebuildable. This bike wasn't stored well for a short time.

Forks stanchion tubes on both bikes are nice. I only found one small ding on the RH tube on of the complete bike.

Neither bike comes with a title. Both bikes are being sold for parts in "as is" condition with no warranty implied. Bill of sale will be provided.
       Brian Platte
Hesperia, CA
Phone: (760) 948-6791 | Email
Registered Since 12/11/2009 | 53 Posts
Accepts: Cash, Check, Money Order   

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:44:25 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A5 Kawasaki on Swapmeet
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:31:21 pm »
Betcha they both have broken 3rd gears.....good price though.....for such rare bikes they always seem to be for sale.....I need a set of 3rd gears if anyone has them.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:00:46 pm »
I picked up three over the years (all three for much less than he is asking) and two had ignition problems (control box on one and stator on the other).  I haven't raced any of them yet, but I guess I better prepare for third gear problems too.
 ;)

3K made isn't too rare I would think. ???
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »
Not a bad price, but will probably be around $3800 landed.

I found one for sale in Canada for $725 crated, complete and with a new bottom end.  But by the time I could arrange a quote for shipping, the seller had got sick of waiting (2 months) and sold to somebody else for more.  It would have been about $2500 landed in Brisbane.  Well at least I've got a price for the next one I find in Canada ::)