Author Topic: Ray Palmer  (Read 1651 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Ray Palmer
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:50:08 pm »
Steve Magro's emailed me with the news that 70's/80's Sydney speedway racer Ray Palmer passed away on October 30 aged 48. There's no indication of how he died. I knew Ray slightly through mates that rode speedway with him. He was a good rider in an era of great Aussie riders and 48 is way too young to die. RIP Ray.
 Below is an excerpt from an email from Ray's sister on the Glasgow Tigers website........

News from the Glasgow Tigers web site this morning.

"Good evening, my brother Ray Palmer was a speedway rider in the late 70s to mid-80s. The last time he rode for the Glasgow Tigers was in the second half (25.04.1986) when he had a serious bike accident.

"Ray had fond memories of the times he spent in the UK. Sadly he passed away aged 48 years old on 30th October 2011.

"Ray requested that if anything ever happened to him that we would write and let the club know as the support, cards and well wishes from the fans in April 1986 were overwhelming and to this day Ray kept each and every card.

"I was Ray's sister, I have read the messages from the warm and caring fans and I would like to personally thank all those who sent well wishes to him. Sadly missed by all, Ray 'the rocket' Palmer."

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

Re: Ray Palmer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:19:33 pm »
Wow, that is sad news.
Ray started riding at Nepean around the same time as I did and just as Mitch Shirra did, he was under age by a few years, but boy he could ride a bike.
As we were both up & coming riders at the same time, we didn't really get on that well and I never really did get to know him personally.
All that aside, it's a very sad & sobering reminder for us all.
RIP Ray.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Palmer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 07:10:33 am »
Journalist Peter White wrote.....

PALMER, RAY

SYDNEY Solo rider of the 1980s, Ray Palmer, died after a heart attack on October 30 (writes Peter White).
He was 48.
Palmer entered speedway as a 14-year-old, racing around Nepean by himself for three years before he could obtain his speedway licence. They were the days before Junior Speedway existed in NSW.
A jockey-sized kid, he had enormous potential and was actually running successfully in A grade against Wayne Forrest and company when he sneaked into a few meetings at Nepean before his age was discovered.
When he did begin riding officially he quickly made the grade and had a stint overseas with Glasgow in Scotland.
Latterly he was a close friend of former Sidecar rider Alan Hughes who described him as "a great bloke".
Palmer lived at Guildford and drove a tilt-tray truck.
He is survived by three sisters - Gail, Sonya and Shayne.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha