Author Topic: Super cross  (Read 1731 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Super cross
« on: November 22, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »
We went along to the last round of the Super-X held for the first time in Ipswich for a gander-it's been more than 20 yrs since we had been. The event was run well enough though it was "padded" in parts with pit bike races and one-on-one shoot out races etc....the racing was quite mundane though with who ever getting the hole shot usually going on for the win. The big triples, where we stood, were fun with some guys getting them every time and others just doing the double and then the last one--but the guys in between that you were never sure were going to do one or the other-they were entertaining-in a dangerous sort of way :o :o :o
This brought us to remember the first days(nights) of Super-x in Brisbane at Archerfield when every-one had a go at it and the afternoon races were full to overflowing with wide-eyed youngsters. C grade qualifiers had full fields and the first turn was full of action. The first 'canyon' jump we ever saw was there and it took its toll for sure with most guys freaked out by it. The same could be said for saturday nights triple jump as there was also a huge canyon jump over the finish line that looked way bigger than the triples but no-one had any probs with that!.
Back to the memories---We ventured to Newcastle one week-end and it was the first time sidecar cross had been seen there. The Vics came up and we had some great races but we had to miss most of the mid-field as the local police said we couldn't go "over them big jumps" on a sidecar!!??.
Can anyone remmber or have photos of that??

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Super cross
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »
EML do you remember where the track was? In the Showground or out of town? Or elsewhere?

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
I know in the late 80's they held it at the Speedway
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
Def at the speedway, 'cause when the local copper came to see them sidecar thingys "do a jump" he went home 'to get all his mates and their kids' to come and watch :D :D
He had thought we rode dirt track outfits and was keen to see them jump around a super x track. :D
I am keen to know if there are any photos, news reports etc... of the night.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
We went to watch th SX in Campbeltown stadium. The racing was good. There were so many crashes and i really dont know why. There must have been 8 people taken to hospital. I have been to sydney showground Mr motoX and every SX in sydney since the last ones at the sydnet entertainment centre in approx 1998 and have never seen so many injuries. It was the first one that i took my 6 year old son to and was a bit worried to what he took in of the carnage. Will go again next year..
Seeing that young girl Megan from Picton gettin clobered was a bit sad too.

Cheers Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »
She was up and running again last weekend so it wasn't too bad I guess. She circulated at the back of her quali but got amongst it come finals time-good for her. I heard it was a bad one so it's great that she got back on the horse.