Author Topic: Life / Income Insurer's that are sympathetic to our cause  (Read 3493 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Life / Income Insurer's that are sympathetic to our cause
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:30:17 am »
Apparently Motorsport is out when it comes to income or life insurance :o :o :o.
Does anyone know of a company that is sympathetic ?
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Life / Income Insurer's that are sympathetic to our cause
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:14:59 pm »
 Back in the good old days when I new I would not get paid if I couldn't go to work I signed up with Combined Insurance Co of America.
 They paid up as promised for 3 months after I broke a scaphoid bone, courtesy of a high-side get-off at good old Arcadia in 1963.
 Happily they continued with the cover after that 'till I subsequently stopped racing to waste money on food,clothing, rent etc.
 [I made a come-back about 1990 and still keen]
  I think I saw on here somewhere a comment that they still do business.
 cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:37:57 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:52 pm »
Thanks Alison - I probably should have done a search myself, but couldn't recall reading anything like that  ::) ::)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:58:50 pm »
Got the ball rolling...gotta check our own :o
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:13:21 pm »
's a funny one this one. I went thru' the same crap years ago in saffie land but some how the penny dropped with the assurance companies that what we were doing was a healthy sporting pursuit (certainly no more dangerous than club rugby) and that, by and large, we're healthy well adjusted individuals.

Dunno whether the wheel has turned.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:08:03 am »
Combined Insurance of America was the go but in recent times they seem to have sold a franchise here in Australia called Combined Insurance of Australia and the original appears to have disappeared.
They cover almost anything but their fee structure looks exactly like pyramid selling and they don,t mind a bit of pressure selling.
I,me not sure if they pay out or not as I never had to make a claim.
Am no longer with them because of the interesting increasing fee scale.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:24:47 am »
In the '80's I had a rep from that insurance company try to sell us a policy at work.  He told us to just put a claim in once a year and have a paid holiday.  We thought it all sounded dodgy so gave it a miss. Plus we were single and cashed up.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:00:14 pm »
From Pete Maddison on Dirt Bike World:

.... we're insured with CIL and it covers racing, we've already claimed on it. Every racer I know is with them. Maddo is insured and I doubt if there's a higher risk in the whole of competition motorcycle sport.

CIL have done racers insurance for at least 25 years and we've been with them since 1990. It's not a go to come on here with half an idea and make it out as fact, that does a disservice to all DBWers.

Call Combined Insurance Limited and get a quote.....

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »
can't be bothered going back through the old threads but weren't these the guys advertising on the MA website??
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline tony c

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:42:13 pm »
If I had started with american combined ins earlier I would have had a new rm 80 for free, 50 bucks a week back in 1978 when I broke my first bone.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »
They are ok, and many of their reps race motorsport. They won't cover you if you are a parachute jumper or when you're pissed, but they will cover you while bike racing which is good enough for me. I get the WA rep in to our historic roadrace club once a year and also to the vmx club, they are good guys and the premiums for work cover are more than acceptable, also if you're a subbie you can claim against your income protection. And they do pay, I lunched my elbow at work last year and they paid me out for full disability and then partial disability for the entire duration of my problem.
Should point out, I have no stake in the company, but as I said if they cover you while bike racing that's enough to get a start. Policies range from SFA to Quite A Lot , so worth running the numbers past one of their reps.
YZ250H, we will have a Combined rep at our HCMC of WA club night this Wednesday if you're interested, see Wednesday's West Australian for meeting details or check the club site, www.historicracing.asn.au .

In Victoria phone Stirling Quintal 0450 554 933, or in WA call Andrew Robinson 0433 242 959. They will happily run the numbers past you WITHOUT any pressure, and you're left to make your own decisions. I can't believe I'm writing in support of an insurance company, but as I've pointed out in other threads on this forum, the removal of the "I can't afford to crash, because I've GOTTA be at work tomorrow morning" beacon flashing in your mind on Sunday afternoons is worth quite a bit of peace of mind.
In the end , you'll make your own mind up, but Combined are worth a few minutes' contemplation.

Regards GD  ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »
I had a call the other day from my friendly Combined Insurance rep, wanting me to review my cover . She informed me that after Christmas, Combined Insurance will no longer take on new customers who want a policy to cover them while racing motorcycles. All existing customers who have this type of policy will continue to be covered though. So, if you were intending to sign up with Combined, now is the time to do it. The name of the rep that I spoke to was Stacey and her phone number is 0416879066. 

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 09:02:56 pm »
i was ummmimg/aarrring about trip to USA,then my "ankle cheque" arrived in the post  ;D,yep,sponsored me bigtime,admittedly been paying in since early 70's,but if they're putting a limit on racing customers for next year,(& they're the only ones doing it now!!),nows your last chance, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Curly3

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 09:11:28 pm »
This is the big un-spoken problem with our activities.
And will only get worse.