Author Topic: R.I.P. Smokin Joe.  (Read 786 times)

Curly3

R.I.P. Smokin Joe.
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:38:31 pm »
Joe Frazier lost his brief battle with the big C.
He was one tough guy, his fight's with Ali were real battles.
Not vmx but a sad day for sport all round.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:58:27 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Smokin Joe.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 04:35:44 pm »
Although I'm not a boxing fan, I'm a huge fan of Joe Frazier. When I lived in the US in the late 70's my local university, UCLB (Long Beach) held a fundraiser to raise some cash for one of the colleges boxing (and rugby) squad who'd suffered brain damage in a training accident. My rugby club paid for a table at the  fundraiser/auction with Smokin' Joe guest of honour and chief after dinner speaker. He was funny, much more articulate than I'd imagined and as well as his guest of honour duties privately contributed a hefty amount to assist the kids rehabilitation. After the formalities he (and Suger Ray Leonard) worked the room like the pro's they were and shook hands with nearly every person in the room, swapping anecdotes and jokes at every table. I had my picture taken with the great man and Sugar Ray which was sadly lost in the move.
 'Smokin' Joe Frazier was one of the last of the hard men in a sport that's sadly sunk to the lows of idiot pretenders like Anthony Mundine. Godspeed big guy!
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:55:25 pm »
yes smokin joe fought for Alis licence to fight with the president of USA when ali would not join army,he gave ali money over those 4 yrs then ali shit on him in the press for the thriller in manila
Joe was the man R.I.P.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:21:29 pm »
That epic doco When We Were Kings had an unforgettable image of Joe Frasier working the heavy bag, there was a cavity in it the size of a dfootball where he'd been giving it a good whippin'. A formidable presence of our time.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....