Author Topic: to rebuild or not to rebuild.  (Read 2363 times)

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
to rebuild or not to rebuild.
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:17:25 pm »
Hi All,

Went down to mr vmx, great meet bar the rain, after running the first race in the rain and the second in more rain the old CZ sucked alot of water and stopped after removing the air filter the air box had 10mm of water in it.
I dont know how it ran for so long?
After removing the head and pot the lot was found to be full of a water based oil more water than oil, I removed the piston with the little end pin being vary tight.
After that i flushed the lot with pre-mix petrol, the big end bearing feels ok with no movment?
The big question do i pull it all apart and replace the mains, big end and rod? or just do a top end rebuild?

Chris.

oldfart

Re: to rebuild or not to rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:51:27 pm »
 Do a final rinse with metho- this will remove any trace of water.  If it was me I would pull it apart ASAP and check the condition of bearings ......The rod should be fine ..... More a piece of mine thing. ;)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:54:53 pm »
Fark em both off and get a Yammie or Zook .....how longs it been since they where rebuilt?....if they've done a few seasons it would probably pay to strip them properly.......that track must'nt like the checo bikes, the Dutchie had problems too.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »
Hi,
Give yourself a good slap !, I'll bet there was plenty of muddy water sucked in the inlet,
Pull it down and get the crank and rod dismantled,if there is no wear/damage, just reassemble, with new bearings /seals before you ride it again , make sure the water drain in the air cleaner is not blocked.
the shortcut is usually the most expensive route in the long run.
cheers

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 06:56:25 pm »
Hi,

I know no drain in the air box that is why it filled up the plastic air boxes do not have a lip around the carby hole as well.

Trying to not do the work but i will pull it apart and check the lot.

Thanks Chris.

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:59:41 pm »

Fark em both off and get a Yammie or Zook .....how longs it been since they where rebuilt?....if they've done a few seasons it would probably pay to strip them properly.......that track must'nt like the checo bikes, the Dutchie had problems too.

I may have had bike problems but I was the best dressed in the pits.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 10:03:13 pm »
Thats saying something if you where better dressed than the Dutchie.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:31:41 pm »
all i could see one the tv clip was a cz riding  in the mud, at least they showed a real vmx bike.   NICE 8)
My fastest lap is the first one :)