Author Topic: Betor forks  (Read 6684 times)

Expat

Betor forks
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:27:47 pm »
Are mid '70's straight leg 35mm Betor forks any better performing / desireable than other brands?

firko

Re: Betor forks
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:55:24 pm »
Betor forks are as good as CZ and Ceriani forks which puts them almost at the top of the pecking order, not that far behind the excellent Maico forks. Ceriani and Betors are almost identical (CZ forks are also very similar), depending on what they came off. You can swap components around between the various Betor types and models. I've found that Mexican Betors as fitted to Coopers are in fact direct copies of Cerianis. I'm using Mexican Betors on my new project with S&W aftermarket fork springs and OSSA Phantom dampeners. I previously used longer Bultaco legs in these forks when they were on my DT1 but I'm going back to the 1" shorter Cooper legs for this project. That gives you an idea of how 'tunable' they can be. In a nutshell, they're great forks.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 11:09:08 pm »
There 35mm what more could you ask for ?

if yur buying a set check the tops of the seals, old ones alloy rust or eat out, up the top by the washer clip if they have been sitting or been in the rain uncared for.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Expat

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:58:52 pm »
Thank you gentlemen.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:12:42 pm »
Expat,
For what it's worth I have a few tests on ossa phantoms and all testers stated the betor's where harsher that the same forks on either Montesa's or Bultaco's. Purley a valving thing though.

firko

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:23:02 pm »
Funny that. I'd been told the same thing about the Phantom dampers. When I first built the bike I used OSSA Pioneer dampers and they were fine. I then tried some MK8 Pursang dampers and although I got an inch more travel, the ride suffered, especially in stutters. Then old Phil Young the OSSA guru gave me a set of Phantom dampeners and they felt good, almost as soft as the Pioneer version but with an inch or so more travel. Of course these days it doesn't matter diddley when you can use emulators like YSS PD valve or a Gold Valve and really get a plush ride. If you use an emulators it doesn't matter what dampeners you use as the emulator does the dampening.

Expat

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 05:23:27 pm »
Reason I asked the question is because I have 2 pre '75 hibrid projects needing front ends ........seeing I dont have any spare 35mm forks I thought it prudent to shop around for ideas before making a choice..

Another question.....does  fork brand make any difference at all if Emulators are fitted?...Honda, Husky, Betor , .........???

YSS

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:25:50 pm »
The PD Forkvalve  fits in all forks, but in some instances you have to modifie the damper rod a liitle.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 11:43:49 am »
And maybe use us a spacer to get it up to the spring seat ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff