Author Topic: Speedway - Dirt bikes National Museum.  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Dutch

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Speedway - Dirt bikes National Museum.
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:56:14 pm »

A friend send me these pics from the Speedway - Dirt bike collection in the National Museum Australia.
Looking for more (Technical) info from these bikes specialy the Blue machine with what looks like a twin cyl engine.

Curly3

Re: Speedway - Dirt bikes National Museum.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:44:33 pm »
My thinking would be that it's a 125 Yamaha or Kawasaki in a Hagon, or a copy of, but it looks Hagon to me, there were a few being pedalled around with some success during the 70's.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:22:53 pm »
 That's one of Charlie Edwards' bikes. Yammy twin I reckon.
 I know he built a 250/350 twin for Romsey grasstrack  but the one in the pic. is a 125, (note that the front brake hub has been removed)

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:37:29 pm »
Don't forget Mark, it is a display bike and someone may have needed a Hagon backing plate.
786 would suggest that Les Lewis rode it at some stage but if thats correct, Charlie would've had a hand in there somewhere for sure.
Great question Dutch, I haven't been to that Museum for years now but it looks like it has expanded quite a bit since I went.
I'll be going there soon.

P.S. I should add Dutch that here in OZ we have a thriving Dirt Track competition that is probably halfway between the US Flattrack and Grasstrack from the UK and Speedway thrown in.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:02:00 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 07:51:31 pm »
That's one of Charlie Edwards' bikes. Yammy twin I reckon.
 I know he built a 250/350 twin for Romsey grasstrack  but the one in the pic. is a 125, (note that the front brake hub has been removed)

Getting off track a bit but I watched Nigel Boocock ride the Charlie Edwards 350 at the Bendigo showgrounds longtrack back in the 70's. It was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen or heard (well on a par with the supercharged Vincent outfits at HBBB anyway ;D) Boocock was unbeatable that night. Phil crump was the only rider to give him a hurry up. Clarrie Jones rode the bike as a demo after the meeting and he said it frightened the shit out of him. He shredded all the knobs off the tyre.

Stan.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:17:23 pm »
It certainly looks like a 125 to me, Wayne and Doug Bryant from Canberra built a couple of 125 twins, one for Ian Williams and one for KP, who told me Charlie had built a Yammy twin 125 as well.

Stan , that Bendigo meeting with Booey on Charlies big Yammy 2T twin is seared into my memory and there is a photo of a similar bike, in Townsville, in the yarn I wrote a year or so ago, about the 1975 Bendigo Longtrack.
Foss

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:15:59 pm »
That was also about the time Herman (Trevor Flood) tried his hand on the 750 Yamaha American flat tracker. Never really seemed to suit the Australian tracks. Booey retired and living in Cleveland in the Redlands in Qld. Not all that well at the moment his son in law tells me. Hoping to talk to him about the BSA speedway prototype he rode. Have a cut down ( no gearbox) Ccm motor I want to use to build a replica.
Rosco

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:50:18 am »
Hey Rosco,
Sometime ago, I posted some more info on Booey's Beezer that Slides passed on to me, dunno whether you've seen it, http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=19008.0 
Foss

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:22:52 am »
i know all about that yamaha twins power i changed tyres all night for nigel.after evey race new tyre and a cup if tea.(we jap454) were pitted next to them
jim

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:43:20 am »
Thanks Foss got that and it will help. Have both scallop and full fin barrels and heads so it should look like the bezza. Just have the godden Wessie to finish then a 2 valve jawa then a hagon nap and then the bezza.copy. Should keep me busy for a while. Rosco

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »
Are the bikes on static display? (aka miserable sad death..) or do they drag them out now and then a fire em up?
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.