Author Topic: Engine.  (Read 1897 times)

Quicksilver

Engine.
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:12:06 pm »
Combining parts I had and help from other forum readers ( Thank you men ) and for trade deals too no money . ???.. Barter system, I just love it. ;D. I have been lucky enough to have almost pieced together a CR250M roller. Woo hoo. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now I am on the search for an engine M or M1 complete or parts of. A pipe would be nice too. ;) As always barter suits me best but could round cash too if thats how you like.

Quicksilver

Re: Engine.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:35:34 am »
Before I flog the piss out of the credit and look to the USA for an engine. Is their anyone at all at home in oz that may consider parting with an engine? Anyone?.

I have found a seller in US that will send one over for $200, much better then $500plus ive been quoted by others. Still body heap of cash to pay out in shipping. Home grown seller would be much easier.  :)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:44:08 am »
$200 bucks for a motor from the US is a good price,
and given they don't grow on trees anymore???
unless of course your garden looks like Brads...
"flat bickie"

Expat

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:50:49 am »
Quickie,

The M and M1('75) engines are different beasts.
M1 has up pipe and exhaust port on opposite side of cylinder.

The cases look very similar but completely different.
Top ends cannot interchange.

Quicksilver

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:45:27 pm »
Vandy.
Maybe the drop in freight cost is because its only bottom end. Head and barrel I could buy from US at later stage.

Expat.
Thanks for that. I was lead to believe the top end from earlier model would fit the M1 75 bottom end, at the same replacing the Ms shitty gearbox in one move by using M1 bottom end with M top.

Quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:36:17 pm »
Thanks for the lead Paul.
I have a MT250 thats to good a bike to pull apart, yet I looked into it anyway. ;D Unfortunately the head, barrel, right case, ign, crank and gearbox are all different to the CR. About all that can used for CR is left case ( Which would have MT numbers anyway ) and maybe the clutch.

Cheers.

Expat

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 07:58:11 pm »
Quicky,
THe '75 M1 shares the earlier gearbox woes... :(
The stories suggested the 2nd gear and shift forks were stronger parts on 'M1.......
The M1 is NOT a bullet proof tranny.
I think they improved marginally in '76 though.

If the bike is to be raced hard...get a good gear cutting engineering shop to undercut the gears closer to 6 degrees.
Sometimes the engineering was so far off that only one dog carried all the load.

Also.....do yourself a great favour and make up/ have made up a Very good case saver to fit around the front sprocket.
When your chain hops off it will totally destroy the clutch operating mechanism.......and thats the case gone too.

Quicksilver

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:07:16 pm »
If the bike is to be raced hard...get a good gear cutting engineering shop to undercut the gears closer to 6 degrees.
Sometimes the engineering was so far off that only one dog carried all the load.

Also.....do yourself a great favour and make up/ have made up a Very good case saver to fit around the front sprocket.
When your chain hops off it will totally destroy the clutch operating mechanism.......and thats the case gone too.

Thanks buddy I Will certainly look into those gear mods..

Quicksilver

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 03:08:17 pm »
I have purchased a complete engine right here in Oz.. ;D

Cheers