Author Topic: Tarring and feathering  (Read 4226 times)

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Tarring and feathering
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 03:13:28 pm »
Tim it reminds me why I moved to White cliffs.However lately there have been moves to organize the town into central commities and such by people the rest of us call the "Black road mob".So called because they are only there because of the tarred road.However the town folk voted against the idea and the woman running it.The post mistress has now spat the dummy and wants to leave the town without a post office.None of us locals realy care.White cliffs is an experiance not to be missed.I cant say too much but just lets say there are no police and the town does not need them,although they do drop in every now and then.Out on the field there is plenty of space and no one to bother you if you ride your bike out there.At the moment I am down Mildura way and have to remember where I am.If you are up that way and I am there I'll be more than happy to show you around.Same goes for other VMXers.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 07:46:54 am »
I think that tarring and feathering was an honorable past time that kept people on the straight and narrow.  However reintroducing it in today's society would be fraught with complications. OH&S would be all over it like a rash.

I once happened upon a young lad on a country  road who waved me down for help as he had run out of petrol.  Unfortunately for him, he happened to be traveling in a vehicle that belonged to a mate of mine.  When confronted, he began to babble and as I raised my hand to slap him back to reality he fell to the ground sobbing.  I realized then that violence would be futile and the best approach would be to physiologically scar him.  So after half an hour of discussing various tortures and punishments including hanging, I decided that he would benefit greatly from being stripped of his clothing  and having a long walk home.  Unfortunately for him the first car that stopped to assist him happened to be some more mates of mine who when asked if he had been beaten and heard that he hadn't, decided to fulfill that option. Several months later at a nightclub, he was recognized by a third party and given another reminder of the error of his ways. Although I do believe that tarring and feathering would  of been more beneficial than violence.

The young lad no longer steals cars.

TooFastTim

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 08:45:24 am »
And wears a white jacket with long sleeves  ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:35 am »
If you are up that way and I am there I'll be more than happy to show you around.Same goes for other VMXers.
How did you end up in White Cliffs Paco? It's as desolate a place as I've ever been and unless you own the pub or an opal mine how do you make a quid out there? My godson is headmaster of the Catholic school in Wilcannia so during my twice yearly trips up to see him and his family we often head over to White Cliffs to buy trinkets for the ladeees (opal jewellery). I've enjoyed my little excursions underground to see how some of the local folks live and I've downed more than a couple of beers in the pub. If you want to experience the Aussie outback, meet some interesting locals and pick up some opals while you're at it, White Cliffs is indeed worth checking out.

( My apologies for the non violent hijack)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 11:18:35 am »
If you are up that way and I am there I'll be more than happy to show you around.Same goes for other VMXers.
How did you end up in White Cliffs Paco? It's as desolate a place as I've ever been and unless you own the pub or an opal mine how do you make a quid out there? My godson is headmaster of the Catholic school in Wilcannia so during my twice yearly trips up to see him and his family we often head over to White Cliffs to buy trinkets for the ladeees (opal jewellery). I've enjoyed my little excursions underground to see how some of the local folks live and I've downed more than a couple of beers in the pub. If you want to experience the Aussie outback, meet some interesting locals and pick up some opals while you're at it, White Cliffs is indeed worth checking out.

( My apologies for the non violent hijack)

Apology accepted:I first went to white cliffs to see," haleys comet" and I guess white cliffs just got under my skin.There is always something for people who are willing to have a go to do.Opal minning is pretty well only on the hobby scale of things now.You would have more chance of winning the lottery than finding a fortune in opals.Tourism is what keeps the town going.you would be supprized at how many tourists come to town;the caravan park always has a healthy amount of people staying there,and as caravans leave there is more comming to town to take their place.Personaly I rent out a dugout on a nightly basis.and I work renovating houses down south.So all in all lifes pretty good.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 03:59:51 pm »
Personally I have a soft spot for the RATTAN , Tarring and feathering is so old fashioned. ;D

One of the reasons I took early retirement was to escape the ever increasing beurocracy and over zealous OH&S dictators that were making it harder and harder for me to get the job done.
Yep Maritime NZ seem to be filling this role at the moment, with salvage teams with real expertise delayed by 3 days while an organization with little expertise and no credible leadership tries to work out if it is 'safe' or not. It has nothing to do with safety, quality, compliance etc and everything to do with a society that wants to shelter behind someone rather than take any self responsibility.
We had a good one a while back in Briz.
Big storm caught a couple of window washers out 40 stories up and they got trapped.
Along comes a couple of rockclimbers [ who work on hi rises for a living ] who abseiled down and saved one of the guys.
Unfortunately for the other guy the fire brigade arrived and stopped the climbers from saving him because it is dangerous to abseil off a tall building.
Second guy spent hours hanging in a very stiff breeze.
I think the fire brigade ended up abseiling down to him  :o

85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.