Author Topic: and teach your children well  (Read 8888 times)

All Things 414

Re: and teach your children well
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 07:51:22 am »
The clincher for me was meeting an older A Grader at Bacchus Marsh with a couple of lovely dents in his forehead where they'd just removed the permanent brace that he'd been wearing for the past six months after snapping his neck in a "friendly" vets race. Wasn't a high speed get-off or ploughed into by the pack. A low speed crash.
He's lucky that he works for a mojor bike distributor and they were sympathetic to his plight. They paid him even though he could do bugger all and wasn't a pretty advertisment for the pro's of riding an off-road motorcycle.
Not many of us could be that lucky.
He is no doubt that a neck-brace would have prevented what could have been a very physical and financially bad time for him and his family.
To me now, itd be like riding without a helmet. Sure I may never injure myself but I'd never ride to my full potential either.

Rosco400

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 08:06:41 pm »
I'm buying braces more for peace of mind and the belief I have done all i can possiby to reduce risk both for my young bloke, knowing at least I have done what I can,also buying one for me and I dont ride that quick and gotten older and hate to admit but the reflexes arent as quick as they used to be and because if anything were to happen, whos gonna support my wife and kids, I hope nothing ever happens that could result in any such injury but accidents do happen, its just the degree of the accident that changes, give it 5 years and youll be hard going to see anyone not using one if there serious about safety, when we were youngsters, nothing like this was available but I can remember at least two guys I went to school with with halo wearing neck injuries so I guess they were lucky. They still get to walk.

Doc

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 08:42:46 pm »
and now we'll have a short break for intermission.

the following is for your veiwing pleasure..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iUEyWgyQOKg&feature=related

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »
I love the pass on steve wise's right, while he was looking over his left shoulder.....classic.

Doc

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 09:46:03 am »
Evo, great racing alright..right on the limits and that pass was timed to perfection ;)

firko

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 10:40:18 am »
Steve Wise is now a Holy Roller Christian minister. You occasionally see him on the Christian channel struttin' his stuff to the wide eyed gullible.

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 11:40:43 am »
But.......Steve Wise nonetheless must be a great guy for the simple reason that he searched for me last year at Mid-Ohio just to ask if he could have a copy of VMX Magazine.  A man of very good taste!  He actually was a really nice guy to talk to and didn't mention his Church once during the few chats we had after that, over the weekend.

Ken

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 07:58:10 pm »
Safety gear is murpy's law. If you wear it you wont need it. Don't wear it and you'll need it.