Author Topic: Project Can-Ams to Canowindra !  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Project Can-Ams to Canowindra !
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:07:21 am »
OK.  After two years in the wilderness and the bikes gathering dust and cobwebs I've bitten the bullet and entered the HEAVEN meeting at Canowindra next weekend. 

The pre-'75 bike (250 TNT bitza) last ran at Nepean short circuit at least three or four years ago, but with a cleaned out carb and fresh fuel she started 2nd kick and settled down to a heathy idle.  Great to fill the workshop with two-stroke smoke instead of the dust and wood shavings of endless home building projects.  The last time I rode this bike it frightened me- huge power that hits with a bang, and ordinary suspension- heaps of fun !

The pre-'78 ("MX3" bitza) used to be a 175, but I put together a 250 engine with all new internals about 18mths ago, and never got around to fitting it.  But it's up and running now and is as smooth and sweet a new engine should be.

The only question whether the body is up to the task................... Ah well, what the heck.  Only live once etc etc.

Cheers,

Nitram   

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Can-Ams to Canowindra !
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:15:51 am »
well done , get out there and have a blast. nothing gets the bug back better than an extended break.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

crankpin

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:12:33 am »

Got any better pictures of the '74?

Nice bikes btw.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:54 pm »
Good stuff Nitram,great to see you back into it !! shoulders all good then !!  ;D  ;)
Photos by Hardo and wife.. http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=21044.0

Best is in the West !!

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:59:58 pm »
Looks like the Canam hooks up alright Martin! Bet you were thinking at that point that your return to racing was going to be a short-lived affair  :D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Montynut

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:16:24 pm »
Both the Can Ams are rocket ships. In the Saturday events Nitram was on Nitro and just rode off into the distance 8) in the 50+ Pre78. Great rides 8)

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:11:04 pm »
Yeah I was pretty happy with both bikes.  The pre-78 bike has a really smooth power delivery which really seemed to work well in the sloppy mud conditions- easy to ride and not threatening to spit you off on every corner.  But it still is brilliantly powerful on a drying track.  Makes it easy for a mug punter like me.  Unfortunately the motor (just rebuilt with new rod/bearings/piston) developed a horrid rattle while idling.  Not sure what it is, but it doesn't sound pretty. 

The pre'75 bike is a lot less forgiving- a bit like a light switch as far as the powerband is concerned- so I left it in the shed til the track dried out a bit.  But it was still a real weapon. Put a smile on my face every time I dialled it on !

I know the Can-Ams look a bit funny compared to the CRs/RMs etc etc, but they are so fast.  I can't understand why nobody races them.  That pre-'75 bike of mine is just a TNT with a chamber.  That's all !  I guess there are not too many of them around, but they turn up every now and then on ebay etc.

Looking forward to the next race-hopefully at somewhere without too many jumps................

Cheers,

Nitram  :) :) :)