Author Topic: Where's the big 2-strokes in vintage dirt track?  (Read 6595 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the big 2-strokes in vintage dirt track?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 08:02:20 pm »
Nice slider, but what I see is a really nice track!

I agree with much that has been said about the sliders and of course in the mid to late 70s they were king. The emergence of both oiled tracks and the fast and well braked 500 2Ts meant that they didn't get the game all their own way, but there were still quite a few guys riding them even into the late 80s.

My question though was more around the MX framed bikes and why we don't see more CR/KX500s with 19" wheels in vintage DT. If I had the spare cash, I'd really like to build a good CR250/500 with the old school wheel/tyre combo. I wouldn't be quick, but it'd be neat to see a bike more representative of the state of the art in 1984 or so.

The guy I mentioned earlier who raced an XR600 still has it and keeps threatening to bring it out for a ride, but he hasn't yet. I hope he does one day just for the novelty value. We were talking wheels and tyres too and we still wonder why the 18/19" wheels and tyres aren't more common today as well. Again, is it the deco tracks? I'd have thought that if 18/19" wheels and tyres worked back then they should do so today, but most modern racers seem to favour the 21/18" combo with a knobby front and Michelin trials rear. I have that on my modern YZ125, but that IS after all a 125. You'd imagine a 450 would overpower those tyres. Although as has been observed over on OzDirtTrack, the modern guys tend to slide their bikes more than was the rule BITD.
Graham the 19" front and rear wet weather road race tyres only work on oiled tracks, the 21"/18" trials rear setup is the ticket for deco.
I reckon a 2 stroke 500 would be the go in vintage dirt track, I'd love to take my 490 Maico to one i'm sure it'd be more than a match for any 4 stroke. What's the cutoff year for vintage dirt track? 

Curly3

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 08:31:41 pm »
JohnnyO, the classes are pretty much the same as VMX.
The guy that is the benchmark at Nepean rides a Maico 490 and our club days are pretty much, pre85 one in all in for the classic classes.
Bring it out.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »
Cool thanks Sliderulz. I raced a fair bit of vintage dirt track in the mid 90's in Qld but it was all pre 75 then, now that it's pre 85 i'm half keen to do some more.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 08:45:46 am »
JohnnyO, mmcc are running pre 86 (to allow a few thumpers into the mix) and pre 75 separately these days. As Sliderulz says the more the merrier! I've posted a heap of pictures on the mmcc website to give you an idea of what the track is like these days.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-6983-0-0-0

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 08:54:28 am »
I must say the track did look nice last weekend Steve. I'm thinking now that November might be too warm for me, I'm a sensitive new age sort of guy. So if things work out I reckon I'll try to get up there for the August club day. More chance of good weather too I guess.

Now on the whole I agree with the sentiments everyone's expressed in this thread. The more the merrier. All I can say is I hope we see a few more of the big 2Ts in vintage DT. It'll be interesting to see what sort of fields we get here for the Classic DT Nats later this year.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:59 am »
i run my methenol burning 1972 cz400 in pre 75 dirt track its not as powerfull as the pre85 ones but is too powerfull for me to ride at its fullest power
jim

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 02:34:49 pm »
I was at Action Park in Queensland last weekend and got talking about vintage dirt track with a few mates. We were speculating about why in vintage dirt track the fast guys seem to be riding XL/XT500s. Now, I love the old thumpers but let's be honest, they are piles next to a decent 500 2-stroke. The 500 2T has less weight, better brakes, vastly better suspension and handling and easily 20 more horsepower. So, why is there no-one out there on a decent CR or KX500 with 19" wheels and dirt track tyres? Back then, the fast guys soon worked out what the hot setup was, and it wasn't a trailbike. Surely the same thing would work today?

Vintage MX now sees big fields in Evo and Pre 85 and the lineup of bikes looks like any grid from the 80s. But dirt track is not like that at all. Why? Anyone got a view?

By the way, I'm not complaining as I reckon vintage is more about the fun than it is serious competition so I'm happy to see all sorts of bikes out there doing it sideways. But I *am* curious about this aspect of the sport...
Graeme is a question of development time.
Someone just has to put the hard yards in with frame/suspension development, then there is working toward getting traction instead of wheelspin with the engine. I think it would take 6 months of development, which is what all the fast 4T's would have had if not more.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 05:45:36 pm »
hopin to have my kx400 and xt500 ready for next penrith round at nepean. gonna ride em back to back and see which works the best for me. I raced a cr5/kx5 on 19/18's with big brakes, bithd. I enjoy the now deco surface (more fun) i think this subject was coverded in an earlier thread (4t v 2t) and came down to power down, ride abalibillty and power pulses

Curly3

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 07:02:27 pm »
Sounds like a plan Piney.
Geoff's gunna ride my bike at the same meeting, he'll be out there tomorrow because his eldest son Damian is having a ride.
Don't forget it may be a 2 dayer so tell Curly to bring a carton of Carona's, we may need some reserves.

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 07:52:42 pm »
So Graeme did you see any big strokers out at the practice day today? This guy usually gets around quite nicely;

WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »
It was pretty quiet today Woody, only maybe a dozen bikes there. A few moderns, a TT500, an Elsinore, but I think there was a Maico 400 or 440 or something and a YZ490. But I didn't really see them out on the track much. I did get to follow the guy on the 490 (#62 I think) and he seems to go alright. As always the 05 YZ125 was magic, man that thing is fun on a dirt track!

Offline Dono113

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 12:32:35 pm »
My RM500 barrel has been resleeved and is on the way back into the old girl, so should be at Nepean in the next couple of months(wife permitting) ;D
1983 CR125R
2003 CRF450R
CB750K1
2005 YZ85
1969 TS 250

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 06:45:28 pm »
OK, so it's not exactly a VINTAGE five hunge but this looks like a CR500 at the 2012 DT Titles!

It also looks like a very wet track...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:48:49 pm by Graeme M »