Author Topic: Thor Lawson Shop Caught Fire!!  (Read 2282 times)

Offline 49

• Novice
    • View Profile
Thor Lawson Shop Caught Fire!!
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:46:31 pm »
Just found out that Thor Lawson's Evolution suspension products work shop has caught fire he has had a bad year with snow storms, health , a fire and the hurricane just recently on the East Coast.

Thor is a top bloke a I hope all is not losted and no customer equipment damage?

It would be a bad thing if a bloke like Thor had to close he's doors for the VMX community.

Col

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Thor Lawson Shop Caught Fire!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:04:24 pm »
Ohh dear, you know what, after 4robs fire, Thor told me about all the precautions he was taking to ensure it would never happen to him. He has some shocks of mine and probably many others on here too, plus he has a large stock of 'soft' parts and many hard to get NOS fox bits he has collected for samples/patters. Hopefully he is alright and lost too much stuff?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:10:06 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mainline

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:27:54 pm »
that is shit news, he's right up there in terms of service and product knowledge

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:56:12 am »
Thor has said he is ok and there are no losses to customer work except for 2 jobs he was working on at the time which will need to be done again. Most of the damage was due to smoke and heat he said. Building was destoroyed as well as most of his hand tools and machinery, plus his plating and powder coating equipment. There will be some delays in orders and getting work done but he said he will be back working again doing some things in a week or so which is good news. Very little new parts were lost so he can still fill orders. He is currently without power and has little internet access though due to the hurricane. Overall things could have been a lot worse.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:59:04 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline 49

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »
This is the email that I got from Thor the other day. :'(

Hope things go better soon like mainline said he has vast product knowlage and is aways willing to help or point you in the right direction.

Hey Col,
Back on the 11th, I was just a day or two from finishing your stuff, then I had a fire in my shop that evening.  Everything is at a standstill while I complete an inventory of the losses which I expect to finish this weekend, weather permitting as we have a hurricane coming this way.

The building, most hand tools, all machinery, plating tanks, and all powder coats were destroyed.

Your shocks are fine, been blasted but not painted or plated yet.  Forks are ok, but I may need to redo the fork legs.

Not getting any work out is killing me financially and I'm doing everything possible to speed the recovery and get back to work, but there is allot to be done.  Hopefully the insurance company will provide funds for tools and new shop in a quick manner after I finish the inventory.  The old shop has to be taken down, tools bought or ordered, I hope to bring in a pre-fab building, then wire and finish interior.

How long I can't say at the moment, I am very sorry for the delay in getting you and everyone else taken care of.

Thor

Thor Lawson
AHRMA MX #909
Ashland, VA 23005
Website & Store: www.ThorLawson.com
www.EvolutionSuspensionProducts.com

Offline 49

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 05:16:44 pm »
A update on Thor Lawsons/ Evolution Suspension Products Shop Fire. :'(

Looks like Thor has had a a set back but will never give up!

Email below sent to me by Thor today.

Hey Col,
This is for you and all the guys down under and on the OZVMX site, please post if you would please.  For some reason my user name is not recognized, maybe since it's been awhile since I last posted.

When it rains, it pours here!  During the clean-up, we had an earthquake, small by west coast standards, but enough to do damage as we were 20 miles from the epicenter.  Only nuisance here was shelves of parts falling over and having to pickup and resort.  Then Irene hit before I could complete the inventory, we lost power and internet for a week, but had a small generator to maintain basics in the house, after the power came back on, we had nothing but rain from what was left of Lee.  Getting around was a wee bit tough, groceries were in short supply in town, but we managed.

Finally completed and submitted the inventory to the insurance company on September 8th, but we are on the back burner while they deal with claims of those that lost or have damaged homes.

Meantime, we cleaned out the old 10'x10' tin shed I started in 12 years ago and have a shop to do rebuilds.  My brother-in-law and a friend I race against donated basic hand tools and tool chests.  We cleaned up the tools I machined and are irreplaceable, bought a few things that were absolute necessities to rebuilding, and I resumed working last Thursday.

While I'm waiting on the insurance company, the goal is to clear out all rebuilds and do what I can to have the restoration work ready for the next step. 

Next step depends on when the demolition and reconstruction happens.  The electricity will be cut off out here, and will either have to use generator or run some long lines to the house.  Either way, I will figure a way to keep working and catch up on the lost time.

Resumption of powder coating and plating is the next step I'm working on and effects you, when, depends on the insurance adjuster completing his part and how soon and quickly the rebuild happens.

Col, wish I had completed your work before this and greatly appreciate your patience.

Thank you to everyone for their emails of concern,

Thor

Thor Lawson
AHRMA MX #909
Ashland, VA 23005
Website & Store: www.ThorLawson.com
www.EvolutionSuspensionProducts.com