Author Topic: JETTING FOR METHANOL  (Read 12740 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: JETTING FOR METHANOL
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 08:48:12 am »
Any developed 2T engine will be effected by changes in Relative Air Density Hoony, methanol a bit wider margin than petrol.If you use an Exhaust Gas Temp probe and a Cylinder Head Temp probe you might have a light seizure but never lunch an engine.With these it's possible to 'see' detonation/pre ignition setting in.
Firko saved me from another boring post,I don't have the MoM here but IIRC you should have 98 ULP.Trust me that Elf 124 is like nothing else,the secrets are in the ignition and cylinder head, you will do similar things as with alky, and see similar results and then some more because it burns faster than methanol
Jesus only loves two strokes

Doc

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 11:41:28 am »
ah well, back to the mothballs  ;) 1 lump or 2?? :D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 04:53:47 pm »
i though mothballs changed the formula and that idea died a sad death , so to speak ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 02:45:58 pm »
Hi guys, Talking of elf fuel, this is what I use in my 74 cr125m, a 98 octane with elf 2 stroke oil.
I have been using it for years with my kids dirt track bikes, and would recommend to anyone, gives longer engine life, burns cleaner, is expensive at $4.00 a litre.
For best results you need to machine the head and set up the squish band,then with the jetting go up a size in pilot jet, and middle clip on the needle, with the main jet go up and up and up and up, till it falls on its bum, then go back a size.
elf is great fuel, awesome out of corners, but you need to set up the head,

Graeme, the TM dont need more power,I cant keep up if you need more power!!!!

Need to find out more ring Aksel, at AXLE MOTORCYCLES, ACT 62820065

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 06:19:07 pm »
Oh dear else you should go back and read some old posts and learn  ::) the fuel you use makes no difference whaever so ever  .............apparently ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

124 would be the same but X 10 I found BFK 98 a bit 'finnicky' on the needle especially 1 clip it felt like it would seize go down one clip and it would blubber away, went back to avgas.Might have another go one day.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline dirttracker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 07:25:48 pm »
i run methenol in both my elsinores it cost me $220 for a 44 gallon drum i run it at 30:1 with castrol m. theres more to running than just changing jets, you have to get a lot of things right or it will cost you.

Doc

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 08:17:18 pm »
mmm..I ran 91 octane caltex on saturday, I wanted Vortex 98 but I stuffed up at the pump ran with my mistake costing a considerable $13.60 for 10 litres..this and TTS at 30:1 served me well..burnt a nice light brown/tan colour and didn't run overly hot considering the relativity new engines and high rpm..power may have been a little down to the front runners but not enough to warrant a change in fuels or jetting..the under gearing and lack of control was more of an issue ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:09:30 pm by Doc »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 08:50:11 pm »
$220 for a 205 litre drum!!!!  ;D where did you get that!!!! please!
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 09:48:30 pm »
At that price might rum my hilux on the stuff, Imagine the look on the guy with the clubsport as I smoke him in my 2.7 litre workmate.

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 09:54:02 pm »
Hi guys,
           I get 20 Lte's for $60 from ET Racing Fuel. Seems OK.

CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F