Author Topic: Rebuilding White power shock  (Read 2156 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Rebuilding White power shock
« on: July 23, 2011, 07:01:14 pm »
So I have a whitepower shock that needs a reseal, and I thought I might have a crack at it myself ::)
Good idea or not?
Anyhow I've got the shock stripped down to a point where I now need to make a tool to remove the end cap/seal retainer from the shock body, question is what's the process for reassembly to ensure the system is bled? Also what weight oil and volume is required?
Anyone done one before?

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding White power shock
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:16:57 pm »
How do I tell the model number?
Numbers I have found: H5 87 and 3-87 on the seal retainer and W2950 on the top of the body behind the top mount.
It was fitted to a '87 CR500, so I'm assuming the first two numbers link to that, and the last number is the model?
Do you know anyone that does res. stickers

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:29:51 pm »
I've been modifying the seal head to take a readily available Showa seal. The original WP seals are very hard to get.

The bush housing will be stupidly tight. Make your tool carefully!
 Running boiling water over the shock body, and then some WD40 (for the coldness as much as the lube) on the bush housing will help.

For bleeding, I've been drilling and tapping the banjo bolt on the shock body, to create a bleed point. Seems to work fine.

Pretty sure that 7.5W is right (will confirm later). Exact volume is determined by the height of the floating piston in the reservoir. A 1litre bottle is enough.

Also be aware of the holes in the shims - they've gotta line up with the holes in the piston. Its really obvious once you think about it, but could bring you undone if you don't think to look.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 08:28:11 pm »
Check here. At the end shows how to make a home made bleeder.
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=263325&hl=