Author Topic: Fitting Alloy Tank to MX250A  (Read 2310 times)

Offline mposs

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Fitting Alloy Tank to MX250A
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »
Hi All,
          I am hoping someone may be able to guide me a little. I am building up a 1974 MX250A as a race bike and would like to fit the MX250B alloy tank that I have. My question is would you reposition the mounts on the tank or move the mounts on the frame to suit the tank?

Cheers Mark

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Alloy Tank to MX250A
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:26:30 pm »
I remember when i built my MX250A, it had had a long range plastic desert tank on it, the actual tank mounts had been removed, found it easy to have mounts repositioned on the frame.  So my solution is shift the mounts as they are easier to reposion than tank mounts, well worked for me.
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:29:32 pm »
I always thought they went straight on the existing mounts? are you trying to move it forward or lower or something?
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:35:12 pm »
What about another picture from another angle like the top one so we can see how far away/where the mounts are ?  Looks like it fits well from the top picture.
I think I'm with Tossa on this one.  Easier to move the mounts on the frame ? At least you don't have to buggerise around welding alloy (?)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline mposs

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:01:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

As you will see in the photos it appears that the tank mounts will slide into the standard frame cups. The issue is that the tank hits hard on the main frame backbone. It appears that the mounts on the frame need to be raised about 20 - 25mm to allow tank to clear frame and sit down correctly at the rear mount.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:06:49 pm by mposs »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:26:38 am »
how close is it with the rubber mounting pieces on the tank.
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:51:09 am »
how close is it with the rubber mounting pieces on the tank.
My thought also. If it's only just touching the frame, a bit of boilermaker ball peen persuasion to the area where it's rubbing might give you enough clearance. Once in place a piece of rubber packing would also ensure the tank won't eventually wear through due to metal to metal contact.

If you're a bit worried that your hammer technique might damage the tank, search out an old school panel beater who knows how to use a hammer and dolly and he'll easily be able to relieve the problem area.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:06:19 pm »
i agree with firko {g'day mate},
if it's a close fit, a bit of gentle tapping with a ball pien hammer underneath the tank should work.
if it's close to the filler cap it may mean you'll have to fill the tank slowly though.
i'd also fit the forks first, just to make sure you've got clearance there too before you go too far.
if there's issues with fork clearance as well, then i'd be looking at moving the mounts.
all good fun :)
"flat bickie"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:29:04 pm »
Whats happeing at the back ? have you removed the rear mount or what the plan there ??? that will also influence things i would have thought.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline mposs

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 06:35:52 pm »
Hi All,
         Thanks for the input. In answer to one of the questions the rear mount has been removed and another is being fabricated to suit now that I have repositioned the tank. As you will see in the photos I took the advice given and removed the cups from the frame. I also ground off the raised area that located the standard mounts and  fabricated new plugs and welded in to the remaining holes. The relocated tank mounts are now both higher and rearward on original. The last picture is the final position of the tank, now it is time to repair and repaint tank.

Cheers Mark

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 06:41:45 pm »
Looks Good Mark  8)
Well done
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.