Author Topic: 1st time dirt track race  (Read 1830 times)

fatboy570

1st time dirt track race
« on: February 11, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »
Raced my first ever dirt track last week. Only got a couple times practice before, and got beat pretty bad, but what a good time! Converted my 73 Yamaha MX 250 over from motocross with some "freebie" parts from some of the local guys, and did my best. Here in the state of Missouri, USA, we race indoors in rodeo arenas in the wintertime. Finished next to last in my heat and semi, didnt make the main, but oh well I guess Ill try harder next time

firko

Re: 1st time dirt track race
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
Good one Fatboy. That'd be great racing indoors mate. I used to do some dirt track on an SC500 Yamaha, which has the same chassis as yours of course. Are you using a 19" front wheel? I found that a 19 incher made it turn a hell of a lot better. I used a Carlilse on the front and a Michelin trials tyre on the back. You guys in the US don't  ever go with the trials tyre option but I'd give it a go if I was you. The traditional American style dirt track tyre works well on hard pack clay type surfaces but if there's any dirt at all the trials tyre is the go. My mate Mike in California tried a trials tyre on his BSA 750 but the bike was too powerful for the tyre and ripped all of the knobs off. However, he tried a Michelin like I use on his Montesa 360 and it worked a treat at his local dirt track in Fresno which apparently has a bit of dirt on the surface. Hang in there, there's a main in the future for sure!

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:49:41 PM »
Good on ya; do you have any photos?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

fatboy570

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:33:32 AM »
Havent found any photos yet; we didnt take a camera. I use a 19" front off of a 70s model honda street bike. It had disc brakes, so we took the rotors off and it makes a nice spool, just had to machine up a couple spacers. Got an old Carlyle on the front and a well used Dunlop 18" rear. Ive been thinking about trying to find an MX 360 engine to get more power and to save the 250. If I cant find any race pics I will take some of my bike and the XT 500 I helped my friend put together