Author Topic: Need advice on painting  (Read 5639 times)

gettinold

Re: Need advice on painting
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 03:00:21 pm »
Hey guys to stop the the misses complaining and complaining use the barbeque instead of oven.If you have a barbeque with a hood that is..The trick with any baking on the barbeque is to use the outer burners only.Put your roast or engine part LOL in the middle of the barbeque on a roasting rack and turn the outer burners down to the lowest they can go.This should give approx temp of 100 deg. I say you should test temp 1st as I assume it would be important not to get barrels etc to hot.

Happy barbequeing

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 03:12:39 pm »
I usually use VHT flame proof paint. I figure the higher the temperature rating the better.  I wouldn't use the caliper paint. A thin dust coat first up, and follow with light coats. The barbecue idea is a beauty.  Don't know why I never thought of that, sometimes the simplest solutions escape you.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 03:17:10 pm »
bitten im sure she will love it...lol
Just bought a TL250 as i have no projects and i will spoil Carol and use the oven as usual
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 12:52:33 pm »
So far I have bent 3 meat thermometers trying to get the temperature right, any tips?
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

rohan

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 02:55:34 pm »
I had the same problem, however I noticed the chipping was only taking place on the clutch cover and the stator cover and no where else, therefore just on the magnesium parts (note: I didn’t use any primer). I pulled them off, striped the paint off then primed them and painted and no more problems. Just used a normal etch primer i.e. not heat specific.

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 10:48:54 am »
Just a quick update

After searching for Plasti-Kote Woodstove as recommended by Adam and told it is no longer being brought into Australia I discovered it is made by a company called Valspar who are the parent company of Wattyl paints. I do a lot of work for the very good people at Wattyl and I was in a marketing meeting yesterday and casually asked the question about Plasti-Kote Woodstove and was told that yes it was deleted BUT they are about to launch a new range of Killrust heat resistant paints in August and whilst they could not put their hand on their hearts and say it was the same formula they threw me a can of the new Killrust Woodstove to try!!

I raced home and last night prepped, primed and painted the brake backing plates and cured them until 1am and they have come up a treat - the right satin finish and they look to be a lot more durable than the VHT caliper paint (not sure if it was the paint or primer)

Anyway a good ending but be warned it DOES stink up the house and my wife is not that understanding any more!!

Thanks for the tips especially the BBQ one!!

Cheers Justin

mx250

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 11:10:49 am »

Interesting 8).

It would be interesting to see how it compares to Powder Coating.

gettinold

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:26 am »
Well done Bitten!. Hope the barby was good?.
The problem now is when can us commoners get a can of this stuff?

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »
around August it will be released into the trade