Author Topic: ts 185  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Sammundo

• Novice
    • View Profile
ts 185
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:28:23 pm »
hi. im in the process of taking apart a 84 ts 185 and have noticed the oil pump has been disconnected and the oil tank has a hole in it. i assume theres no problem with just running it with pre mix? having looked around the ratio is 32-1, does this sound right? Also does anyone know where i can download a 125 manual as the only 185 manual i can find keeps saying refer to the 125 one?
thanks in advance

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: ts 185
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:49:00 pm »
Sammundo there is actually an issue running near all Suzuki 2 smokers fitted with CCI on premix without the oil pump. With the suzuki setup the oil pump pressure feeds the conrod big end and the left side main bearing with oil. The conrod isn't so much a problem but the left side main has a pressed steel shield (slinger plate) which will deflect much of the the premix containing the oil essential for long bearing life. If the cases are split and this slinger plate removed then there is no problem with premix. Easiest fix would be fit another tank and reconnect pump. Will have a look and see if I have a manual and I may even have an oil tank but will need to look tomorrow when I have a little more time ;)

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:07:10 pm »
hello, as Doc says you need to remove the slinger and replace with a shim the same thickness, also think you may need to drill a hole in the crankcase down to the left side main bearing . i have an RL250 suzuki which runs on premix and has this modification done {the RL engine is based on a TS250 engine which has an oil pump} the right hand main bearing is lubricated by gearbox oil so is okay - as long as you keep the gearbox topped up !

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:49:54 am »
I agree , i always feel that the oil pump draws so little power to run that the benifits out weigh the power gain. this was why a lot of pumps were removed in the first place, and with the oil pump the old ts 185 was one of the most reliable bikes ever made friends of mine rode two around australia back in the seventies with no problems.
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!