Author Topic: young kid from Melbourne with a Beeza build  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Skivi

• Novice
    • View Profile
young kid from Melbourne with a Beeza build
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:10:20 pm »
howdy all.

my name is Nick, I'm 23 and currently living in Melbourne. I started on two wheels racing mountain bikes and eventually that somehow progressed into fettling older motorcycles, go figure.

my latest project is a 1952 BSA B33 500cc OHV single in a 1948 B series hardtail. the bike was purchased as a very rough yet somehow going concern in a scrappy plunger frame. the motor is suspect to be a bit hot and it came fitted with a Lucas racing magneto instead of a magdyno. seeing as the bike wasnt very original when I go it I thought I'd build something a bit fun. most of my inspiration has been drawn from the early 50's Catalina GP racers, in particular the privateer bikes build from all kinds of bikes and what was available so i've got a 18" Akront on the front with a Goldstar 8" brake, I'm rebuilding the original front end with new hardchromed stanchions and damper rods from Paul Geoff. I'll be running some flattracker handlebars and a small 5" bates style sealed beam headlight i nabbed for $10 at a swap meet and a $40 fibreglass ex-AHRMA factory BSA flattracker tank copy. I'm looking for a Lucas M01 magdyno and another 18" shouldered alloy rim to lace on the rear along with some dirt track style tyres. I've found a mob in the states that make Bates replica solo seats and p-pads so I'll buy the bases and cover them in some leather i got from an old couch. the frame, engine and gearbox are all wearing 60 years worth of road dirt and i like it that way. A friend of mine is making some stronger axle plates to replace the damaged ones on the frame and I'll run a small bobbed polished rear guard. the plan is to put the bike on club plates and ride it every week everywhere and anywhere.

sorry no pictures of my bike, it's currently in boxes anyway, here's a later 50's factory GS flattracker which i'm using as inspiration:

-Nick

Offline Skivi

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: young kid from Melbourne with a Beeza build
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:11:53 pm »
oh yes i also have a 1969 Suzuki T250, a 1982 Honda H100 and my daily rider is a trusty Honda XR250R named Rhonda.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »
Nick Skivi.....
I like your choice in bikes,state of vintage (Victoria- full of mx history) and your age.
It will give you 100% start on the vmx scene.  ;)   ;D   WELCOME..  8)
cheers from west oz.
Best is in the West !!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:16:59 pm »
 GO MAN GO! All you need now is a set of Carey cams [good luck with that!]
 Watch that front brake! they were very good in there day, could be vicious in an 18" wheel.
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Skivi

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:08:34 pm »
cheers guys. this is my first British bike and I'm about as far from a mechanic as you can get, i'm also a povo uni student and have been building this bike on a shoestring with a lot of help from the older grey beards (the BSA club has been a god send) who have met me with nothing but open arms, even if you're not restoring a bike i'm happy to see older riders helping us young twerps out when they can. hopefully i can pick up a few tricks while i'm here on OZVMX.

for anyone interested in the early 50's racings scene in America when dudes rode hardtailed road bikes without lights in desert dashes and even and on the track check out this thread HERE